Weird fish with human mouth

pfff get on my level

10 Likes

Trigger Fish rock, ya’ll.
They are so beautiful.
And maybe delicious…

2 Likes

I’m having flash backs to when I crawled onto shore after seeing those chompers on that sea creature.

3 Likes

But does it sing “Take me to the river” :notes:

5 Likes

How long before “triggerfishing” becomes a thing?

6 Likes

ISWYDT not that I have any first hand knowledge :wink:

Thank god, a “Mr. Limpet” reference. I thought I’d finally aged out of my tribe.

12 Likes

Today I learned that Hawai‘i’s official state fish isn’t the only triggerfish. I’ve snorkeled around Humuhumunukunukuapua‘a in a clear bay, and I was pretty sure I would have noticed this particular horrorshow. Never knew about the second spine thing, so at least there’s some upside to having seen this.

2 Likes

5 Likes

The most creepy part for me is not the lips but that the teeth look like human teeth, not the pointy kind of things I’d expect in a fish.

6 Likes

you were thinking something like this?

just a li’l 'cuda I caught off my dock

7 Likes

Barracuda are delicious.
Also they make fine snorkeling friends

Sometimes they look angry though.
I never swim up to them.
But they don’t really seem to mind my being there.

Are you about to torture that poor fish by snapping off
part of it’s jaw while it is still alive?

5 Likes

Heavens NO! Just removing the hook.
And yes, they are quite tasty! I only consume those under 24 - 30 inches, as the larger (and they get much larger) carry ciguatoxin and that’ll make ya real sick!
I too, enjoy snorkeling and diving with them, they are fairly innocuous provided you don’t fuck with 'em. My favorite snorkel friend lives under the dock. Her name is CeCe. She is a lovely young nurse shark, very chill, minds her own biz in the shade under the dock then hunts at night. I have to be careful fishing off the dock at night, don’t like it when she bites the hook (as has happened twice. I am always very gentle with her and send her home as peacefully as I possibly can. She is so sweet!)
Back on topic, tho… triggerfish do indeed, rock! They too are good eats (but again, as most reef fish do, they are prone to ciguatoxin) but it is generally discouraged to take them as they are beneficial to the delicate reef ecosystem. Something that the very endangered coral reef system of the Keys needs - balance.

7 Likes

My ex-wife caught a barracuda once. We all went on a fishing trip in Mexico. Other people caught red snappers we later ate, she caught a barracuda we threw back, I caught some weird iridescent fish with a long tail that we threw back. I said I caught the prettiest fish.

3 Likes

Posting this pic of CeCe here because she is so damn pretty!
Yes, that is under my dock on the bayside.

12 Likes

First off, glad to hear it.

Secondly, yeah, we’ve snorkeled with
Black Tips, it’s nice. They’re something different
to see.

I’n the Galapagos there was a little cavey like
depression with piles of small ones who had
crammed themselves into the strata for a little breather.
There was a deep sea Black Tip too, but she was pretty
far beneath us and also taking a break.

CeCe is a cutie.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t think so, but it’s true. I’ve swam with them. They are definitely way more chill than they look. And much more afraid of us than we are of them.

5 Likes

@beschizza, get to work.

8 Likes

Um, yeah, triggered again!
What is that thing?

If two-scoops wins a second term
are we all going to have to talk like that?

2 Likes

If by “talk like that” you mean lie, I sincerely hope not.

2 Likes