Well, the Kraven The Hunter trailer is here

Looks like this could be an interesting movie by itself.

I did see how this worked out with Morbius however. I’ve seen a lot of bad movies, and have rarely found one to be as unwatchable as that. So, see how this one goes.

Kraven’s not a great villain, but he was written very well in “Kraven’s Last Hunt” which is probably the most compelling Spider-man story of the pre-multiple-spider-people era, so if this movie is being used set-up a Spider-man sequel “Kraven’s Last Hunt” then it makes sense. They have to at least introduce the character, and set him up as kind of a weak villain for it to work.

But the Spider-man in that story is an adult, he’s married to MJ - and that marriage is a central part of the story; so I don’t think they could do it with Spider-man still in college.

The trailer doesn’t make me think that’s what they are doing tho’, this looks like a blatant attempt at a cash grab in another cookie-cutter super hero film.

4 Likes

That was glorious. I hope they posed for pictures.

1 Like

I still say the best Kraven story arc was when Kraven and Spider-Man drew competing diss comics about each other for Squirrel Girl’s charity comic fundraiser.

7 Likes

Kraven was bitten by a radioactive lion after a tarot reading, got it. And I guess they’re making another attempt at Rhino.

I don’t need a franchise, but I do want Daredevil to share one particular villain with Spider-Man. He’d be a good fit for an introduction in She-Hulk, like the Wrecking Crew. Matt could just talk about it, that would satisfy me.

I just hope Calypso’s there to be an actual character and not just to set up Torment.

We could probably fill this topic with gushing about Ryan North’s Kraven in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl but… actually, why don’t we do that?

3 Likes

Thanks for linking to the Squirrel Girl podcast. I really enjoyed it last year, and I might toss it back into my summer rotation for a more upbeat scripted podcast.

2 Likes

I hope the Squirrel Girl version of Brain Drain makes it into the MCU some day. A German cyborg from the 1940s reformed to become a nihilist superhero? What’s not to love?

3 Likes

same with all the hand-wringing about the Secret Invasion series. It hasn’t even aired yet and all we hear is that it doesn’t follow the canon of the comics. OK, many will be salty about that. All i want is a good show, and from what i have seen in previews SI might deliver.

3 Likes

Maybe they could use this plot in the next Spiderman Movie.

The podcast voice actor really nails the Brain Drain voice, very Hertzogian

3 Likes

Ah so if I don’t even feel the need to see the trailer, I’m good.

Is this Sony trying to maintain its claim to whatever portion of the Marvel IP it still has left?

My understanding it is exactly this. Sony has to make a “Spider-Man” movie every X years or the rights revert to Marvel (which would now be Disney).“Spider-Man” includes the hero and all his rogue’s gallery. So, we had Spider-Man, and Spider-Man reboot. Then when they figured we couldn’t take another reboot they started on Venom and Morbius and now Kraven. Apparently, they don’t care if the movies are any good, or even whether they break even. Like that Fantastic Four movie made by Roger Cormin just to keep the rights.

2 Likes

i’m still hoping for a doctor octopus movie played by a real, live doctor.

3 Likes

I’d rather one played by a rel live octopus.

3 Likes

i dunno. i’ve never been scared of an octopus before…

( eta: with apologies to @docosc of course :wink: )

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.