'We're gonna lose over 100,000 perhaps,' Trump says of deaths, and 'Nobody blames me for that' on job losses

I WAS trying to be an optimist.

I guess so; Trump is more a “Little Finger”

2 Likes

Best platform for reelection ever known:
Maximizing number of deaths and permanent impairments from the pandemic.
Further impoverishing the majority of workers – prior to the pandemic, ~25% of full-time workers weren’t making a living wage; % sure to grow as the economy recovers.
An ever more unhinged POTUS.
I know. Put like that, you’d think it’ll be a repeat of 1964, but the establishment press seems pretty certain that Trump’s reelection is assured and who am I to argue with the professionals? So. Those three points, while they seem to assure defeat, apparently will actually get the Killer Don reelected. (Less sarcastically: I never trust the American voter to do the right thing.)

2 Likes

Right. Because the Glorious Leader’s people oversee those who count the vote. And the establishment press knows this.

Oh, to paraphrase Churchill, you can depend on them to do the right thing. After they’ve tried everything else.

2 Likes

Now I’m not an American, so I’m probably missing a lot, but as far as I can tell, the only people who seem pretty certain that Trump’s re-election is assured are a) far-right Trump cultists, who live in a world apart from the facts; and b) online leftists, who have an axiomatic belief that the Democrats can’t win.

10 Likes

Nailed it.

AFAIK, most people here are NOT certain about anything anymore, let alone what’s going to happen come November.

Both outlying groups you mentioned tend to be rife with toxic energy leeches who would like nothing better than to see it all burn…

13 Likes

The real estate swindler is his own Mystery Science Theater.

surprised Xeni missed this little ditty from Trump this week, it’s suitable for framing to remember why 2020 was particularly such a nightmare:

“When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing we would have very few cases.”

11 Likes

A stronger and more effective early response (including nationwide social distancing and widespread testing) could have set the conditions for a shorter lockdown period.

As it is the virus was allowed to spread so widely that we won’t be able to safely reopen most businesses for a long time, contributing to the economic fallout.

12 Likes

Eh - fair point. When we have to repeat the process due to half assing this first lock down, and not taking any real precautions during a reopening, the 2nd + waves and the fall out definitely fall on him and the governors.

The initial slump due to lock down, either when we did it or weeks earlier would have had similar fallout, IMO.

Same quote with added benefit of not seeing trump:

8 Likes

Nah, Little Finger was clever.

4 Likes

littlefinger-eyebrows

Not as clever as he thought he was, though… very much over-estimated his ability to control Sansa, for example. His misogyny was a major weakness.

15 Likes

"He would have burned the seven kingdoms to the ground, just to be king of the ashes."

Fitting that his death came at the hands of an oft-underestimated woman.

16 Likes

Honestly, I think at the end of it all, the ONLY people who got what they really wanted was Sansa and Arya… :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Let’s not talk about it; the less said, the better.

21 Likes

If you mean USA, then that 1 to 2 mil will be over the years we have it. This fall, the virus will settle in like a bad habit.

1 Like

I’ll be happy when George gets the books done…

6 Likes
  1. Physical Nausea… Trump out of power
  2. Psychological Nausea… Trump in power

I chose door no. 1 :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I think Jon Snow got some of what he wanted when at the end he went off with Tormund and the wildlings: A community that wasn’t nagging him to be king… and less (if any) politics. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes