West Hollywood unanimously approves permanent removal of Trump's Walk of Fame star

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/07/west-hollywood-unanimously-app.html

12 Likes

Popcorn%20-%20We%20Bare%20Bears

42 Likes

Does the fact that the star is not located in West Hollywood come into this at all?

9 Likes

37 Likes

I’d heard the people in charge of such things were considering it, but I never expected that they’d put it to a vote so fast or that the decision would be unanimous.

I will take this as a good omen that people with power are finally waking up to the fact that 45 is way more trouble than he’s worth.

24 Likes

I don’t see why people are so happy. It’s the closure of yet another pubic restroom. Now I will need to find another star

23 Likes

Alas… the vote was made by people without the power: the West Hollywood City Council doesn’t have jurisdiction over the Hollywood Walk of Stars (the Chamber of Commerce does, and has never removed a star from the Walk, e.g., Bill Crosby’s is still there).

17 Likes

com-video-to-gif

13 Likes

As far as I can tell this is just a resolution that is not legally binding in any way. It’s the civic equivalent of telling a neighbor to take some tacky shit off their lawn.

21 Likes

Had to look up what films that butthead actually appeared in. A significant majority of them it’s just him as himself. It’s not acting if you’re just playing yourself. The star should have never been put there to begin with. He probably paid sweet talked someone to get it there.

3 Likes

West Hollywood unanimously approved to write a letter to the Chamber of Commerce requesting the permanent removal of the Walk of Fame Star.

West Hollywood does not have jurisdiction over the Hollywood Walk of Fame, unfortunately. This news item would carry more weight and be more satisfying if it did.

Undoubtedly there are longterm L.A. residents here – has a Walk of Fame Star been removed due to the honoree’s political unpopularity?

9 Likes

The article mentions that it’s “symbolic” for that reason. It does carry some weight, though, given the city’s name and the number of entertainment industry people who work and live there.

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce is a very conservative (in the old sense of the word) and rules-bound organisation that will require additional prompting before removing a star, but this resolution may get the ball rolling in terms of local Hollywood businesses and the big studios to put pressure on the CoC to do so.

What I also like about this is that West Hollywood has made it clear exactly why the star should be removed, so that any potential claim by the CoC that “it’s just too difficult and expensive to maintain during these polarised times” won’t fly if they do decide to remove it.

9 Likes

That I knew; hence my surprise that anyone voted unanimously.

As for Cosby’s star still being there; while he is a predator, Cosby isn’t the leader of the free world, nor has he endangered and embarrassed the entire country repeatedly.

There’s a first time for everything; especially if they have to keep replacing the symbol because it keeps attracting negative attention.

If they don’t remove it, it will keep being vandalized and destroyed.

13 Likes

It’s not a great honor that recognizes acting prowess like an Academy award or something. Basically anyone who has been in a couple of films is eligible to get one as long as they’re relatively well known and someone is willing to cover the $30,000 fee.

14 Likes

I believe technically it was “awarded” to him for The Apprentice TV show, not any of his movie appearances.

5 Likes

I think it’s for his TV work, not that that really amounts to anything of substance, either… (Or maybe you meant shows, in general?)

Or, what @geoduck said.

3 Likes

Unhinged Twitter rant against West Hollywood in

5 Likes

Thank you for your responses @Brainspore @geoduck @Gyrofrog
I imagine there must be a heckuva lot of stars out there then (don’t research the exact number, it’s okay).

Actually, it’s kind of like a fucked up cemetery for the living and dead if you think about it.

5 Likes

If pants-pissing about “Teh Gey Agenda” isn’t part of the rant I’ll be extremely disappointed.

3 Likes

Bill Cosby still has his star. So.