What do you do when you've got a plumbing clog?

This, right here. Our bathroom sink has a lot of weird turns in it after it goes in the wall and the bladder and the snake were of no use.

One C02 cart later and a very satisfying mortar-esque “thump” noise and I was good to go. This was soon after we moved in though, and haven’t had any issues since. If I used it more than once a year or so I’d probably have to look into another solution, I understand the stress can be a bit much on older pipes and I’m not sure when this plumbing was redone…

There’s always this Korean/Japanese invention for unblocking toilets.

1 Like

Every time I see that I’m always “Nope!”

4 Likes

You need Felicia:

4 Likes

Yeah, the plumbing I’ve seen has been suspiciously DIY, or worse Landlord Does It Themself :slight_smile: But I think you are right, it was probably 1.25", a size I was not familiar with. Our current house also had a drum trap which had pretty much completely clogged. I made the unfortunate decision to open it to see whether I could clean it, and watched the ‘body soup’ flood across the floor and into the bedroom.

2 Likes

My sister bought a log home that some friends had built (very DIY)… The toilet was a camper toilet and the septic tank was an old refrigerator – I’m sure whatever they used to connect them was equally interesting. (out in the sticks, there are no real building permit requirements)

2 Likes

You say “flats”, so the requirements might be different there.

In my area (Chicago), home/building owners are required to have at least one open drain in the basement. I believe it’s for when there is such a storm that the underground sewers can’t handle the flood and there needs to be a way for storm water to escape down multiple pathways quickly.

And yes, I’ve had it happen twice in quick succession in my last home. It’s not actually clean water.

1 Like

Old pantyhose: instead of throwing them out when you get a run, keep them and cut off the ankle+foot section, which can be attached to the hose with a rubber band. When it starts getting linty, just toss and put on the next one.

2 Likes

I just go down to Starbucks, like everybody else.

It just blew out the sidewall of the pipe and now it’s filling the neighbor’s bathtub with sewage. So what. Not your problem anymore.

Single family home means it’s always my problem all the time.

1 Like

[quote=“ChickieD, post:59, topic:64993”]
Think I’ll try the drain filter. Any recommendations?
[/quote]We don’t have as much old pantyhose around here, so I’m stuck with these:

Oh I meant the guy down the street.

You are a bad person Otromike.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.