What does "Make America Great Again" actually mean?

Sure. That’s always been a huge problem. The economy is changing, the notion that we can shift to green energy is most certainly at odds with the economy in coal country. then again, we could support and fund alternatives that move into coal country which could provide jobs. But I certainly understand the fact that there is so much existential dread over job losses. There is no other work in those places and we need to directly address that as much as we need to directly address climate change. Too often the owners of mines (who are often contemptuous of the health and welfare of the people who do the hard work of getting the coal out) are conflated with the people who were employed in those jobs (no matter how dangerous they actually are). As has been discussed elsewhere, it seems to many blue collar workers, the democrats just seemed to have abandoned workers who supported them historically. And that’s intimately bound up with racial identity among many workers.

It’s probably the one thing we can count on from him. That and an active agenda to end planned parenthood and a woman’s right to choose.

12 Likes

Perhaps this video reply is a bit deliberately obtuse. It is also a prophesy, solace, a grim reminder of the continuity of our shared history leading to now, and a call to action.

To take from the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in his final sermon:

“…I want you to be first in love. I want you to be first in moral excellence. I want you to be first in generosity… Transform the situation by transforming the definition of greatness.”

2 Likes

20 Likes

What’s Willis talkin’ bout?

It’s not just a river in Africa.

14 Likes

I was talking about the 1960s, not the 1860s.

1 Like

And yet, white people of all classes actively resisted integration. they literally tore down the entire education system in the south in response to their children “having to” go to school with black children.

29 Likes

We can already see by his statements and immediate movements. You really have no honesty to offer here, just handwaving and unquestioning support for your ideological partners.

15 Likes

The 1960’s?

Oh, that time period was SO much better!

``

``

``

``

``

33 Likes

Indeed. Even despite the very real victories of the civil rights, it’s not like the war against black people and their demands for equal treatment ever went away, even if it became more coded in nature.

24 Likes

Make America Know Its Place [.gov]

12 Likes

Everyone I work with thinks I live in the ghetto. I don’t.

7 Likes

I cannot post this enough, because it’s truer than ever:

25 Likes

Why do you think Trump deserves a “we’ll have to wait and see” when you’re so quick to judge others guilty without evidence?

22 Likes

Probably because Trump is an authority figure with a strong bias towards heavy-handed “enforcement”, much like how Max has previously granted semantically near-identical statements of support for cops who have murdered minorities on several occasions, most blatantly during the Terrance Crutcher thread.

18 Likes

It means that it is hard to predict what Trump will actually do, as illustrated in the conflicting positions shown by those articles. I am not sure who I am judging, but I have to agree that consistency is not one of Trump’s better qualities.

Thank you to @bibliophile20 for pointing out a previous example in which you’ve judged someone guilty without evidence. Earlier in this same thread you also made a baseless claim about how Hillary Clinton’s presumably would have served as president.

Consistently defending Trump is your strong suit, despite your claims to the contrary.

22 Likes

Thing is, it is hard for us to believe now. You have such a consistent pattern of unthinking support for authoritarian viewpoints and have routinely espoused blatant double-standards that, even if this statement is true. We can’t take this statement in isolation from your previous ones. Your great virtue is that you are consistent, and, unfortunately, this statement is inconsistent with your prior pattern. I am genuinely sorry for that, and wish that I could believe otherwise.

18 Likes

I never defended segregation or discrimination. I said that there was no economic advantage to forcing anyone to become an underclass. I clearly worded it wrong, but I stand by what I was trying to say. We are all better off when a person is working a good job and living a middle class life than when that same person is living in a ghetto. It is better to spend money on that person learning a valuable trade or profession than to spend even more money to incarcerate that person.

Never said you did, actually.

Which was and continues to be entirely irrelevant to people who advocate for white supremacy.[quote=“Max_Blancke, post:64, topic:89270”]
We are all better off when a person is working a good job and living a middle class life than when that same person is living in a ghetto. It is better to spend money on that person learning a valuable trade or profession than to spend even more money to incarcerate that person.
[/quote]

I agree with all that. But it’s irrelevant to people who believe that they are locked in a zero-sum battle with another “race.”

18 Likes

But you did, Blanche, and you continue to do so; in every weak rebuttal and insensitive, off-handed comment that ignores or marginalizes the harsh reality of everyone who doesn’t look and think just like you.

I genuinely think that you don’t care about anyone but yourself and those closest to you, based solely upon what you post on this site ad nauseum.

22 Likes