What Jack Kirby proposed for the plaques on the Pioneer space probes

I wonder if the Aliens are ready for us?

An omnivorous ape capable of adapting to live in almost any environment. One who is actually seriously considering colonizing our nearly airless neighbor planet.

We went from pounding rocks together, to the capability of destroying a planet’s biosphere in an eyeblink, in less than four millennia. We are capable of surviving after having large portions of our bodies damaged and amputated. Our ancestors captured and domesticated one of our early predators and now we carry their offspring around as tiny toy trophies.

I’m not sure that any Aliens that exist are sufficiently ravenous to leave their planet, much less mess around with the schizophrenic, naked ape with a death-wish that is humanity.

Stop it, you’re makin’ me blush…

1 Like

“Maybe not eating people is the first step to making friends” - Omnipotus. BEST. EPISODE. EVER. /comicbookguy

2 Likes

“You mean those guys are still matter-based?” [Seventeen-dimensional analog of an eyeroll]

1 Like

They thought that in the church in which I grew up. Well, some folks did. Everyone was pretty sure that sci-fi was blasphemous.

2 Likes

The content of the plaque turned out to be pretty irrelevant considering that the aliens just used it for target practice anyway.

2 Likes

Here’s that link in the Way Back machine if anyone is interested.
https://web.archive.org/web/20061231031620/http://www.yourmomsbasement.com:80/archives/2006/11/galactus_is_com.html

1 Like

It’s a little longer than that (Humans were smelting copper 7000 years ago) but I get your point.

2 Likes

Unrelated: could this be the genesis of those dickish “No thanks, I’m an idiot” pop ups?

4 Likes
2 Likes

If it was just scientific fiction that was considered blasphemy, that’s fine. It seems that nowadays many people consider science a form of apostasy. Hide your copy of “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life”.

Oh my god the humans actually CLOTHE THEMSELVES IN THE SKIN, HAIR AND WOVEN BODIES OF OTHER SPECIES.

2 Likes

The high school science department head and one of the other teachers were elders at much church. I never took bio, so I couldn’t speak to what was taught there. But everything else was pretty normal.

1 Like

We’re a sick bunch.
Even our earliest toys are representations of animals others fear, like bears or tigers, or simply food.
Humans are NOT nice.

2 Likes

You’ve read the “They’re made of meat” short story, yes?

http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Reminds me of the Minds in Banks’ Culture books, AIs that use “meatshit” and similar as curse words.

1 Like

I had no idea this had been made. I will see if I can get a copy.

ALIENS: “Man, let’s stay away from Planet B. Those Earthlings look like they could kick our asses! Besides, the people on Planet A are naked. It’s like they WANT to be probed!”

1 Like

robot_shutterstock%20(1)