What Pearl Jam sounds like to people who don't like Pearl Jam

There’s an excellent Austin band called Cilantro Boombox

8 Likes

It’s quite fitting that Eddie Vedder was the speaker who inducted R.E.M. into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

4 Likes

waynes world penny GIF

Really excellent. Listened to that at 6 am. Gonna be a good day.

3 Likes

Bob Dylan has entered the chat.

2 Likes

Fantastic!

Just needs a little more cowbell.

1 Like

Some are severely allergic to it. Lots of love/hate foods are allergens.

Do folks who dislike cilantro also dislike coriander? Just curious.

2 Likes

I have the same feelings towards REM and Michael Stipe, which is why the best REM album has Warren Zevon singing.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I’m just barely not old enough to have been there for the 90s grunge wave, but in my mind that right there is Pearl Jam. So I guess if that isn’t what they actually sound like (and if it isn’t, what do they sound like?), the video does a fantastic job of capturing what appears to be an oddly specific general outside impression.

The sound of Vedder’s backing band* – I mean, Pearl Jam is flat and colorless. Compare to, say, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Neil Young. (*Better name may be Vedder’s Cucks.)
Vedder is prolific AF with the result that nearly every song is kind of underdone, incomplete.
The BS publicity of the PR for Gigaton. One of the band said the band gave Vedder a bunch of demos to finish. Writing credits bely that. So they blatantly, deliberately lied or they’re such fools that give writing credits away to Vedder.
Their music – as opposed to Vedder’s energy – is a bore.
History factoid: Grunge isn’t a genre but a marketing conceit.
Popularity doesn’t necessarily have any correlation with quality.
That said, it’s just pop music which is to say different people, different tastes, YMMV, and all that. All subjective except for the Gigaton thing up there; that one’s documented.

Genres still exist even if you don’t like them.

13 Likes

It’s weird how some people just don’t seem to understand the difference between fact and opinion.

I don’t usually quote Merriam Webster, but even they seem to be under the distinct impression that grunge is a sub-genre of music:

9 Likes

Um… so are all genres. Genres are a marketing technique used to market particular bands to particular audiences. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Nah, alphabetise every record ever, that’s more logical. Chopin and Chuck Berry are pretty much the same anyway.

6 Likes

Now I wish there was a Chuck Berry record where he covers Chopin!

5 Likes

If I had categorised by B we could have had Beethoven…

4 Likes

Chuck Berry did a song about him!

5 Likes

Yup.

Same “genres” too.

5 Likes

Well, it’s only a genre if certain people like it… and if certain other people like it, it’s art…

6 Likes

Mudhoney were the best of the Seattle bunch in my opinion. Tad were the most underated and slept on.

8 Likes

How about Screaming Trees?

Mark Lanegan went on to do some kick ass stuff…

RIP, Mark!

8 Likes