What some of the geniuses at the fake-ass 'free the states' coronavirus spreading rallies are saying

Other than daydreaming about the Rivian I can’t afford (yet), no. I’ve just been lectured about the “working class” from these folks before, so I did my research to call them on their BS.

13 Likes

The price tag (which can be counted in toe tags) of herd immunity is millions of deaths, with no certainty of it working. Preliminary data is indicating that having previous COVID-19 infection is not conferring immunity at a high rate, if at all. That should be bone-chilling news.

17 Likes

I don’t much care for trucks, but that Rivian does look promising, won’t cost more than the stupid Prius to run, and won’t suck in the snow. Plus, the company’s headquarters are right down the road in Plymouth, MI. It’s under consideration in 5 years when I’m overdue for a new vehicle.

7 Likes

I meant just in the US… but yeah. I’ve heard different things on immunity rates, that immunity isn’t the problem. That many people already have immunity. Now, long term, that’s a question. And if these states can get enough tests to even know they have a problem? That’ll be a problem. And the speed at which this thing seems to travel? That’s bad.

It’s worth noting that the person I know, I trust them with their stats that aren’t published fully yet (it’s in peer review but probably will be out shortly.) This is definitely a bad virus. It can mess a lot of people up, and will. It’ll clog hospitals and use resources and kill a lot of people. But preliminary work is showing that there might be between 80 and 800x the amount of people infected with this who weren’t even aware of it, that it might have come through in late december/early january, and that it does confer immunity.

Again, in peer review right now and sealed with a bunch of other studies coming out soon, but there are signs of a lot of optimism.

If we stay the course on the flattening the curve thing :stuck_out_tongue: If we keep it so our hospitals can react.

That’s what I was talking about. Global herd immunity will cost around a billion lives. With a “B.” If there is such a thing as immunity post-infection, which is still up in the air.

9 Likes

How are all of these idiots louder than Biden ?

That’s not close to matching the rate of mortality that is going to probably come out adjusted very soon. In the words of my friend , “We were doing PCR confirmations on supposed ‘bad tests’, and it kept saying this test which had false positives weren’t actually false positives, and so we went back and did a LOT of random testing using antibody tests as a primary and PCR’s on random positives , of random individuals around the US.”

In his opinion, when the anti-body tests become easily and readily avaialble in a few weeks to a month, a lot of people are going to be very suprised that they already have had and recovered from COVID. His estimates are that due to lack of testing and tracing and the high communicability of this disease, any where from 10% to 30% of people in the US may have already had it.

But we’ll see. He offered to bet me $5000 that the mortality rate gets cut to under 1% by the time the whole after action reports on this get done.

That is a ghastly bit of gambling stakes right there … and over/under on how many people will die.

2 Likes

He seems pretty confident that a lot of people have already gotten this, that it’s way more communicable than we thought, and that a wave of it went through earlier in the year and that there are tests coming back from people that have no connection to covid patients or covid hotspots, even all the way back into the retests and retracing they’re doing on “flus” they saw in late December/early January.

I dunno. He’s the most pessimistic person I’ve ever met. And I’m a pretty pessimistic person. IF he told me a billion+ would die, I’d both believe him and say he’s being a little dark raincloud again. So it shocks me when he tells me something isn’t as bad as first thought. It still is bad, though, make no mistake, going back to work now will overload hospitals and end this whole flatten the curve thing… I don’t want to make it sound like I think this “is just a cold/flu”, it’s clearly more than that to too many people. It’s just some people I know in their 40s in not the best health have gotten this thing and had no symptoms, and other people I know in their late 20s in the best shape they could be in got knocked flat on their asses.

We’ll know soon enough when all the antibody tests get dumped on the market en masse.

2 Likes

Until we have accurate numbers both ways, talking about “herd immunity” is irresponsible. Both number of infections and deaths attributed to COVID-19 have been under-reported. Meanwhile, a death rate of 0.4% and 98% infection rate (to reach herd immunity) still puts the US death toll over a million people. That’s staggering.

17 Likes

Oh, they could but they never would.

That looks like fun. I love whitewater rafting.

1 Like

Of course it makes sense; trump has been known to be a Russian asset for decades.

Check Lansing craigslist in a few weeks, you might be able to get a deal on one from the guy’s family.

8 Likes

Following down that rabbit hole, I noticed a connection with an organization that’s a member of the State Policy Network, which draws up model legislation for Republicans across American and other countries. (Similar to ALEC.)

I’ll explore that further once I have coffee.

6 Likes

I understand that currently less than 5% of the people have antibodies.
In one area testing suggests that up to 15% of people have antibodies to the current corona virus.
In that one town.

1 Like

Speaking of cause and effect.

These Betsy DeVos funded astroturf “protesters” are literally killing people with their efforts

17 Likes

Gonna spread this link like Coronavirus in Georgia.

Too soon?

1 Like

Don’t forget brother Erik Prince. He has to be some kind of rock star to the Blackwater-wannabe militia types.

7 Likes

There is always a connection between dangerous idiocy and military LARP’ing. Right wing nutjobs are just attracted to spiffy uniforms and costumes.

13 Likes