What we know about sex with Neanderthals

Everywhere?

3 Likes

Oh snap.

1 Like

Sorry. I have no idea. I watched It a long time ago in VHS tape.

4 Likes

Was this what was depicted in “American Gods”?

1 Like

I just bought it in HD on Amazon Prime Video, woot! :smiley: Pumped, this looks awesome – thanks!

1 Like

It was part of the the English 12 course back when I was in high school. Or maybe it was some other class. That was a long time ago.

3 Likes

Isn’t this topic the story underscoring a recent animated film (and all)?

("Crood"s vs the "Bettermen"s seems more racist than Romeo and Juliet somehow)

6 Likes

Kissing…sharing food…or perhaps this group of Neanderthals discovered humans taste just like chicken? Or does that fall under ‘sharing food’?

Humans have been known to eat humans so I don’t see why Neanderthals can’t.

1 Like

What we know about sex with Neanderthals

Hirsuteness was not an issue.

4 Likes

Thinking it was a good time to trade the battling clans on CNN for the battling clans of prehistoric times (not much changes, I suppose), I gave this a watch just now.

I can’t believe this wasn’t on my radar earlier. Ron Perlman? Everett McGill? Rae Dawn Chong? Actually manages to avoid getting cheesy? Shot and otherwise produced quite well? Great score? How is this not a more well-known cult classic at this point, I wonder.

4 Likes

Damn you, Grock!

You’ve stumbled across a treasure indeed. Terrific question. It should be a cult classic.

This was serious with some anthropological discipline and came along at a time when there had been advances in filmmaking. They really did pull it off. Choices made deliberately challenge some racist assumptions that had pervaded the early field of anthropology (Rae Dawn Chong’s character emerges as the real hero). There’s no recognizable modern language and I’m certain no subtitles. $1 worth it to go HD (from that JustWatch link). Similar films made long after that, in my opinion, don’t come close to Quest for Fire.

This NY Times piece goes into more detail with the filmmakers, their thinking behind the entire thing and why it may have been met with disagreement by some anthropologists.

5 Likes

Ever hear of Long Pork?

2 Likes
1 Like

Ron Perlman and Everett McGill both play cavemen which is pretty good casting.

7 Likes

Relevant cocktail fact: the ‘language’ used throughout that film was invented/developed by Anthony Burgess, of Clockwork Orange fame.

8 Likes

Trivia Night!

4 Likes

It has Rae Dawn Chong in it.

2 Likes

Also, did they have beds yet?

4 Likes

It’s likely you have that backwards.

2 Likes

More like the human tendency to mate with anything that has more-or-less the right number of legs.

6 Likes