Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

Only 5 minutes into it, and there she is! And just as snarky as ever!

2 Likes

Read some teasers that Pike would outkirk Shatner in the current ST:D.

I do understand what that meant after seeing the s02e12. And I concur.
Also, the showrunners seem to be hellbound on connecting to canon.

The Menagerie connection is a double-edged sword, I think. And I am curious to see how they manage to kill off Michael Burnham in the end, and “delete” her from canon. If they do. My speculation right now is that the time travel stuff will be the deus ex machina in the end. Indication that Michael is going to be the one setting of the seven signals, with Spock playing a role in it, are already strong since a couple of episodes. I don’t think ST:D will only have two seasons, though. So: how they are going to resolve the whole spore drive/Spock’s sister/time travel/section 31 issues, let alone the strong hints of a Borg:origins storyline is so far a bit opaque. However, if they are doing this in canon, they will do something about this.

I had a pet hypothesis BTW of nothing is that they used biblical names for fun. Michael/Gabriel was the fun pair of the first season. Anyone else noticed that?

1 Like

They had a “PREVIOUSLY, ON STAR TREK” and used the actual footage from fifty years ago. Didn’t re-shoot it, didn’t even re-do the effects or anything, just, “This is Star Trek. Deal with it.” :+1:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly what I was thinking of when I said it. Was a nice surprise to see that opening but I’m really not that hung up on the discrepancy over how the original series looks, Roddenberry never intended it to look like that but they had to make do with the budget and limited technology they had. Still nice to see they’re not completely forgetting the original series though.

2 Likes

Now we know.

I just watched the last episode and I’m like "yeah, I was right, deus ex, on a string, lowered from above the stage.

Spock suggested the policy never to mention any of this, but still mentioned Michael in his personal logs. Which are somehow archived, aren’t they? My memory is a bit blurry, but didn’t some personal logs from the past play expositional roles in some ST:TNG episodes? Anyway, The Future it is: the unexplored country. Let’s see what the 32nd century brings. Since the 31st had a temporal cold war, I immediately would assume time travelers from 2257 might be frowned upon a bit. Even if they bring a spore drive, which might or might not have been reinvented since.

2 Likes

I don’t think the deus ex machina was even necessary. There’s no special reason the events need to be obscured to explain why later characters don’t happen to mention any of it.

The spore drive is known to be harmful to its pilot as well as to the indigenous life forms of the Mushroom Dimension. Of course the Federation would mothball it and take steps to discourage further experimentation in that direction.

And we already know, from the episode and movie where Sarek, Amanda, and Sybok are introduced, that Spock doesn’t talk about his family much. “Oh BTW I grew up with a human kid in the house, she was an orphan,” would have been interesting, but it’s not a surprise.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/07/31/editorial-spock-having-a-sister-in-star-trek-discovery-is-not-that-big-of-a-deal/

1 Like

Just BTW said machina: the finale made it look that the red signals needed to be set deliberately, and not occur as a by-product. Would you agree, or is it just me?

1 Like

Oh, you think I was trying to follow the PLOT :laughing::laughing::laughing: It was all crazy space opera nonsense – pretty to look at, and I like some of the characters, but I didn’t expect it to MAKE SENSE

1 Like

Fair point.
Maybe I should treat Avengers: Endgame the same way, but all witty time travel snark in the film and all self-referential pop culture influence aside, why the hell did they don’t use the timestone, and why didn’t they call Captain Marvel when they started the project? They did take her to the garden, so why not to the past? Also, WTF is up with Loki? Both of them?

Ah, I’m trying this logic thing again.
Shouldn’t.
Anyway, some cracking dialogue, and I haven’t seen a film so full of rehab references in years.

Just finished it. I loved it, though I wonder if you have to be a Tick fan to really settle in and enjoy it.

I don’t know how much Edlund is involved, but it certainly sounds like him. A sentient gay boat with PTSD that locks the door and goes into oven cleaning mode. I can’t imagine anyone else writing that…

Also: Damn you, Black Hole Heart!

Did you see the other live action series with Patrick Warburton?

1 Like

Apparently he is very, very hands-on in this incarnation.

3 Likes

I agree with the following. For once, a second season that isn’t “sophomoric”, but actually even more interesting:

2 Likes

I have. He and Neil Patrick Harris make it immensely watchable. It hits a nigh perfect balance between viewable by kids and sophisticated enough for adults. Of course, the Baudelaire children are also played about as good as you can hope. Much better than the Jim Carrey adaptation was.

1 Like

I think perhaps he meant the post-Seinfeld Tick live-action series.

I’ve seen a few of them, but I’ll be damned if this new one didn’t really capture the soul of it.

ETA: Personally, I got a kick out of the babies. “Joooooan!”

3 Likes

Ah, yes. that one. I saw it back when it first came out, but it din’t click.

I also must admit that I never watched the animated series, but loved the Tick comics. I am a child of that happy era when indie comics were just too weird, a big fan of First Comics’ Badger and Grimjack, of the black and whiteTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (and thought it was a bad joke when my cousins told me it was an animated series – who would dare adopt that blood-soaked gore for kids?!?) and especially Albedo Anthropomorphics, though I didn’t consider myself a furry, the stories and artwork from Stephen Gallaci were amazing.

Now, if anybody decides to do an adaptation of The Hermetic Garage of Jerry Cornelius, I would like to gently remind them that Æon Flux is already a damned close version in spirit. Cartoon jazz. Making the story up as it goes along, and rolling with wherever the cutup drug trip leads you. Screw continuity, this is about something deeper, man!

2 Likes

Yeah. I loved that one too: closer in spirit to the cartoon and the comic book, but for adults.

I don’t think there’s anyone to really replace Jackie Earle Haley’s Terror in new season, but it’s a good ensemble effort.

IMG_20190426_144027

1 Like

There’ll never be another Jackie Earl Haley. Bad News Bears, Breaking Away, Little Children

breakingaw

4 Likes

I only got an episode or two into it: found it exceedingly slow, but I haven’t read the books (the Ratel kit is still a toddler).

That said, even having not read the books I think I can safely say that calling it a “loving and meticulous adaptation” would be understatement.

And he carries the denouement of Lincoln opposite Daniel Day Lewis in his lifetime role.

1 Like

Agree 100%. Russian Doll was fantastic, let it just be that. Same as Stranger Things; you can’t capture lightning in a bottle twice. Sometimes a one season story arc works best; that’s ok. You created great work, now move on. Don’t fall so in love with the characters that rather than let them die they live on in sub-par scripts.

In Peak TV we should enjoy and rejoice that we have something resembling a new long form format, and not ruin it by forcing it into the traditional tv mold of keep squeezing blood from that turnip until the numbers don’t pencil out.

2 Likes