Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

It was popular enough in Japan in the 90’s to be mentioned in the same breath as DBZ, but it never really caught on in the US. Can’t speak for other places, but it’s fair to say it’s relatively obscure to the average US Netflix viewer.

Rewatching Six Feet Under…

six feet under flowers GIF

I forgot how funny the show is…

3 Likes

I think It was the third or fourth favorite cartoon of the japanophile fan in the 1990’s/2000’s.

Those in the know were certainly all about it in the 90’s. I just remember its run on Cartoon Network starting in 2002 (bouncing around various timeslots) not resulting in a terribly vocal fanbase. Not that that means anything. I just remember wanting it to be a bigger hit (because I wanted all big name Japanese properties to hit) but also not being able to catch it myself.

1 Like

Pee-wee-I-Know-You-Are

1 Like
1 Like

So, the people who were decrying Scott Pilgrim Takes Off as just the same thing all over again before it came out? They were a smidge off.

1 Like
3 Likes

… this show loves body cameras and arcane number codes over the walkie-talkies

It’s like a reboot of “Adam-12”

I’ve never watched much Doctor Who. But David Tennant and things like this make me want to:

Edit to add: anyone think watching it with a fairly mature 7 year old would be an issue? The newer ones. The kid won’t go for the old special effects

4 Likes

Started watching the newer seasons (Eccleston on) with a daughter who was just turning 7 at the time. She’s still hooked.

2 Likes

Everyone looks like a poor Kentucky coal miner except Rachel Zegler, who looks like she just stepped out of her stylist’s salon. :man_shrugging:

Not feeling the suspension of disbelief.

2 Likes

Even the TARDIS is often an inaccessible design

and the higher the budget the more inaccessable it gets — whereas the original had a flat floor, a door that could be shoved open, and lots of open space

1 Like

Just finished it tonight. We enjoyed it, lots of great visual jokes and call outs. What a cast they had for that film. The kid said that the comic is still her favourite iteration.

3 Likes

loved the comic series, adored the movie!
looking forward to enjoying Scott Pilgrim Takes Off!

3 Likes

… this is just ridiculous

Apparently the very first film to feature prosthetic makeup effects by Hollywood legend Stan Winston! I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

I wonder if some future TV writer watched that on acid back in the day and it stuck in his subconscious until Disney started looking for new stuff to fill up their afternoon cartoon lineup in the 90s.

The trailer for Wish didn’t look all that great; the movie, however, is an enjoyable family film with references, big and small, to the past 100 years of Disney. There’s even a post-credits scene that adds absolutely nothing to the film and maybe is too on the nose…yet still works.

1 Like

Planning on seeing Wish either this weekend or next. It looked cute, kid-friendly, and wouldn’t drive me nuts. I was so relieved when our kid said no to the Paw Patrol movie. I would have gone but :grimacing:

1 Like

Fargo is back!

Season 5 starts off with a bang! This era is pre-pandemic.

1 Like