Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

Oh yeah, they were most definitely bad parents. They seemed like they had checked out of parenting years ago.

1 Like

yes; at some point I thought suddenly that this feels very much like a shyamalan-movie, but with somewhat better writing/dialogue and acting. score was sometimes pretty anoying (yes, something eerie and frightfull is happening, we get it, thank you very much). overall, I kinda liked it (julia roberts was really great).

oh, and; rated r? seriously? geeee, dad…

e/

it was for me slightly more-than-sum-of-its-parts, but I get your excitement, there were some really great scences and dialogue-bits.

2 Likes

I thought this was great. Todd Haynes-style all the way.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I didn’t exactly enjoy the Doctor Who specials, with “The Giggle” landing as my least favorite despite the fact that the second one was the most superfluous in terms of story. There just seems to be too much focus here on undoing tragic aspects of the show. Not that I think the tragedy of Donna Noble was something we needed to begin with, but taking it away makes it all the more meaningless. And then there’s regeneration, which is essentially the death of the Doctor to bring life to the Doctor. Bi-generation not only takes away a goodbye, it also just seems to serve to keep Tennant on standby. I get it. People love him and he loves being the Doctor. But there’s something that doesn’t feel right about having yet another version of Ten still kicking around in the universes.

1 Like

Pandering to the audience.

I disagree with you, though, about Donna Noble’s noble tragedy from before. Human touching God is a time-honored epic plot device.

1 Like

That aspect I liked. It was a need for a tragedy in order to write her off that I didn’t care for.

1 Like

That does seem to be the reboot default, doesn’t it? As pointed out by the Toymaker, even.

Doctor Who used to be escapist drama-comedy for the whole family. I actually like the newer, more complex take on the general story line, but I can see that not everyone would. I’m one of those people who likes the gray-tinged version of most colors; this new thornier path works great for me.

3 Likes

I don’t know, i thought they were very invested in the tragedy of this Doctor but the resolution did indeed feel like pandering to the fans and i was also uneasy about it. I wanted a satisfying answer to why that version got regenerated but never felt like we got one. It was a sinister episode in places though, like the Toymaker’s mind palace being something of psychological horror, and his takeover of UNIT to the Spice Girls was disturbing and glorious in a way i think only RTD and this show can get away with.

to me leaving it like they did gives the ability for the museum curator (played by Tom Baker) in the 50 year anniversary to be present and still let the Main Doctor continue. Like DT will keep degening backwards in appearance.

in fact… let the next “other” Doctor special have DT die again (he’s finally ready to go) and get CE to come back for a while.

1 Like

I just finished Scavengers Reign yesterday, and it is fantastic! Nothing on that planet is ever explained, the creatures are never named, and things are left just a bit outside of what we can understand or intuit about it. Yet at the same time the planet remains one of the most important characters in the series.

I don’t know if I need anything more from this particular world, but I hope we get the opportunity to see more from the creators of the show.

2 Likes

If only, if only… Eccleston is one of my favorites from the series, but he’s incredibly bitter about his experience. Given his latest answer to coming back, it sounds like he won’t be in the screen anytime soon at all.

2 Likes

I also like Scavengers Reign. Kind of a weird mix of Ghibli, a David Attenborough documentary and Aliens.

Blue Eye Samurai was also a surprise hit. If folks stick it out to Ep 5 the payoff is worth it.

If folks are into anime this season has been very good. In particular, check out: Frieren and Apothecary Diaries

2 Likes

David Tennant Reunion GIF by Doctor Who

2 Likes

Hey, finaly a cartoon for adults that isn´t full of ultraviolence, rude sex jokes and rude jokes in general. If the world is about to end in a cosmic cataclysm, what would you do? A lot of of people would panic, get violent or just enjoy the last precious moments of life. Carol Kohl just took the other path. She can find happiness in small things and in a job with routine tasks and without a hint of adventure. But even in a boring life in an office, one can find hope and solace.

I would call it “meditation in an emergency”.

5 Likes

The trailer looks really great…

Oh, and HAPPY CAKE DAY!!!

jennifer lawrence cake GIF

4 Likes

I have to confess that I decided to only watch the last episode, a weird habit I have. It hooked me so much that I’m going to watch the rest soon.

Heh. It is my BBS cake day! Not my real cake day. Or the cake day is just for the BBS?

2 Likes

Some people have their birthdays set to their cake days while others do not, so I try to default to “happy cake day” in case it’s not someone’s actual birthday, but just their cake day on the BBS…

Did that make sense? :thinking:

5 Likes

Ah yes yes. It makes sense. I thought cake days were a BBS tradition, I mean, the day when we started posting here.

2 Likes