Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

The reviews for Zack Snyder‘s Rebel Moon are in. The consensus seems to be “Snyder really really wanted to make a Star Wars movie, but nobody would let him because he still can’t string a decent story together.”

7 Likes

Like that famous meme: we have to praise his courage, because he has no clue.

1 Like

gonna watch it anyway.
that is all.
Snyder may be a hack, but i still watch - and get disappointed - but i watch.
i liked Watchmen. don’t @ me, k?

4 Likes

snl season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

That’s never stopped most of the people who made Star Wars movies!

1 Like

wasnt by the snyder-cut, though, mainly because the whedon-cut was so, so awful. oh, so awful!

(and the 1.33:1 worked for me, actually loved it.)

2 Likes

Maybe to fix pacing issues. An anime can catch up to source material and either add filler, make up a random ending, or decide to pause.

The anime is one of the source materials… it came from a manga, to an anime, then a live action, and now another anime… Hence my confusion… the pacing in the live action was actually much better than the original anime (where a fight scene would last for like… 10 episodes sometimes). :woman_shrugging:

I’m not really too familiar with One Piece since I don’t have the attention span for shounen fights, but there’s probably more than enough $$$ in it to do so as well. They only committed to the first arc, so if it does well I assume they’ll animate more.

I think it’s considered one of the most popular manga of all time in the Shonen genre… it has a huge following. It’s also an incredibly long-running manga… it’s been running since 1997.

They did put the whole thing out recently in a single volume:

The live action really solved that problem - rather than a 10-15 episode arc with a fight, the fight lasts a few minutes in an episode. The first season gets you through the first major story arc. It’s probably the best bet for getting into the series without a serious time sink, honestly. It was pretty well done, I thought.

1 Like

… for certain values of “they”

“The product you mentioned is not official. We don’t give permission to them. Our licensee in France which publishes One Piece is the publisher Glénat.”

Iceland is erupting again.

1 Like

The apparent lack of availability of the original Dawn of the Dead on streaming and even in stores was always kind of strange considering how easy it is to find the remake and Romero’s other works. This is just another case of weird, stupid legal issues getting in the way. But only in the US.

So, yeah, it’s difficult to find the film in the US because some guy who failed to make a 3D version of the film is in the position to charge exorbitant licensing fees, which seem to exist to recoup his losses. Capitalism and art don’t seem to coexist well.

2 Likes

I watched Godzilla Minus One. Good movie. It starts as a war film, becomes a monster film, another twist and becomes a period drama. Suddenly the monster appears, sinks warships, destroys buildings and I couldn´t help screaming “CARALHO” in the half-empty theatre.

Although the monster is very charismatic, the focus is on the people, on the Japanese citizens who lost a lot due to the War. Many characters criticize politicians, the military and the occupation forces and keep on fighting for a better life.

The weakest part of the film is precisely the outrageous and absurd plan to decimate the radioactive lizard. It turned out kind of funny.

And the film also features this flying beauty.

4 Likes

… never seen this before

Thoughts?

5.3 isn’t sending me to it so far…

… in 2007 it might have been meant as a joke

like, ironically bad

With Nic Cage it’s always hard to tell :thinking:

In defense of what you consider the weakest part of the film, which I also found fairly weak, they were attempting a more grounded resolution to defeating Big G than had been done in the previous Godzilla films. In the absence of an Oxygen Destroyer or any scifi methodology like was used in Shin Godzilla, this was at least clever. But yes, very funny and really, really shouldn’t have worked. Those tugboats shouldn’t have been able to salvage the situation at that point.

1 Like

I remember reading a review when it came out that went something along the lines of “Well, it’s finally happened. Nic Cage overacted so hard that his head burst into flames.”

2 Likes