Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if the animation studio made this cartoon available to the entire Globe.

2 Likes

glad season 2 ended with some kind of closure

1 Like

Colosal is a fantastic film and one you are going to remember. iMDB ratings are so useless if that vets 6.2 and Rebel Moon 5.6. It is the opposite of generic and forgettable. Or at least it has multiple genres in it mixed in interesting ways. I must watch it again as it’s seven or eight years.

Underrated movie.

ETA
Rotten tomatoes has it at 82 and 58 percent. I suspect a lot of the audience for monster movies don’t appreciate an Anne Hathaway movie about a young woman extracting herself from controlling situations. Among other things. Look, I’m not saying it’s pure and utter misogynistic bullshit, but I can’t for the life of me think of anything else.

1 Like

The audience reaction, not the movie, I assume you mean.

Adding to my comedy list after watching Chelsea Handler:

1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like

Here’s something I’m not watching and no one can watch. Apparently David Lynch’s first crack at a Dune sequel was found.

1 Like

Reacher on Amazon…

Details Payattention GIF by Tonya Kubo

:popcorn:

6 Likes

I think they had a similar reaction to learning about the real-life political views of Nick Offerman, who is easily one of the most manly men who has ever masculined. (And now he plays a gay dude on The Last of Us, which just makes for icing on the cake.)

4 Likes

Cant Hear You Nick Offerman GIF by Gunpowder & Sky

3 Likes

I just finished watching Echo. It’s pretty good. Not great, but very good. If you decide to watch it, you will be reading a lot of subtitles, unless you happen to be fluent in Choctaw and ASL. Most of the cast is also Native American, and most of the series takes place in Oklahoma. It’s a nice change of pace from the usual NYC setting of most MCU stuff. Oh, and it features quite a bit of Native American music, too.

10 Likes

This is really good. Taking place in Jaipur and other parts of Rajasthan, it sheds light on the plight of women from lower castes whose families are desperate to marry them off but can’t afford dowries, leaving these women vulnerable to predators with sweet words and big promises.

1 Like

I thought it was cool how much of the cast and crew studied ASL in order to better communicate with star Alaqua Cox (who is deaf in real life) and to better tell her character’s story on screen.

In the comics writers often overlook basic considerations for characters with disabilities out of laziness, for example making Echo such an expert lip-reader that she doesn’t need an interpreter to carry on a conversation with anyone else. Sometimes even a person who is out of her line of sight. I even remember reading a Daredevil comic where he was having an argument with J. Jonah Jameson about a draft for the next day’s front page and actually went to J.J.’s computer to rewrite the headline. I mean, I’ll grant the whole “radar-like super senses” thing in the name of storytelling but I draw the line at “Matt Murdock can hear what a page layout looks like on a computer monitor.”

This show felt like it made a genuine effort to present a more authentic version of both the Deaf community and the Chocktaw people.

1 Like

And limb difference people.

I saw an interview with some of the other cast, and one pointed out that while she is First Nations, she’s Mohawk, and so is as much a guest on Chocktaw land as the Anglo folk around them.

3 Likes

She is also Native American (not Choctaw, but hey…neither is Graham Greene and I’m not complaining about his casting in anything) and an amputee. Say what you will about Marvel, but as far as representation and inclusion, they hit this one out of the park. They also collaborated closely with the Choctaw Nation to make sure they got things done right.

Ok, I’ll put this next part in spoiler quotes, even though it’s not that important to the plot. Speaking of the use of sign language, I thought it was really smart how they had Kingpin have this advanced tech made that would automatically do sign language for him, and translate Maya’s signing, because it showed that he didn’t actually care about her as a person at all. All of these other people in her life learned sign language. But the Kingpin, who is supposed to be an uncle/father to her, couldn’t be bothered. Such smart writing.

3 Likes

Which was extra special because it wasn’t even an original trait for the Marvel character. They wrote it in because the Cox really is an amputee.

Regarding the tech @danimagoo mentioned:

It was a clever way showing that Fisk really didn’t care about her the way her family did but it was also a little bit silly. Wouldn’t a speech-to-text display be a million times easier to create?

Well…silly tech is Marvel’s middle name

1 Like

Northern Exposure is now on Amazon Prime. I don’t know if they finally secured the music licenses or what.

1 Like

:thinking: