Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

I would not be opposed to a satiric Nordberg cameo played by another actor.

3 Likes

granted, winona seems de-aged only in one particular scene in the trailer;

but it looks like the samo-samo between betelgeuse and lydia (can he age like her?)

jenna ortega plays then…her old friend we never saw before from the old film? whatever.

1 Like

It’s a sequel. Not a remake. Ortega plays her daughter.

One strike left.

9 Likes

I know what I’m NOT watching:

5 Likes

I get that.

but I guess I dont get the cementary scene then (both of them together in the same scene, winona clearly the same age as her in that scene). had the audio from the trailer off. whatever.

its a good read.

e/ another one I think I will skip most certainly;

Here is one of the greatest artists of the 21st century, who wrote such sexual, bawdy, lacerating songs about womanhood, being sanitised by a narrative of legible female pain: never mind trying to make sense of all that messy business, let us soothe our consciences with the banality of her craving a baby.

the 2015 doc was great, and thats that.

When director Alex Garland sat down in 2020 to write his new movie, Civil War, he was clearly worried about the polarization of American society. The Covid-19 pandemic was just beginning to take hold, and former US president Donald Trump was still in the White House. It was a much different country from the one in which Garland is releasing his biggest film to date.

The divisions Garland worried about have only increased, driven by rampant conspiratorial thinking around Covid and vaccines, Trump’s baseless stolen-election conspiracies, a growing right-wing media empire spewing disinformation, and, of course, the attack on the US Capitol.

Rather than making a film calling out these threats and divisions head on, Garland instead created something much more akin to a far-right fantasy recruiting tool. In Civil War, Garland’s apocalyptic US features a country ostensibly stripped of partisan labels, where both the left and right become intolerant of each other and turn deadly.

Garland’s argument that both sides are at fault, though, is disingenuous to the reality of the United States, both in 2020 when Garland wrote the script and even more so now, just months out from potentially the most consequential election in American history.

There is only one side calling for a “civil war.” There is only one side stoking hatred by spreading conspiracy theories about the Great Replacement. There is only one side boosting baseless and widely debunked theories that elections are rigged. There is only one side whose presidential candidate is promising a “bloodbath” if he loses the election.

For all its visual artistry—and there is plenty of that in this film—Garland has created a confused narrative that attempts to portray all sides as evil, with only the journalists at the center the real arbiters of truth. But in an age where extremists are ready and primed to decode and interpret any piece of media for their own ends, what Garland has really done is create a film in which these groups can see themselves on screen as the good guys.

8 Likes

I posted a couple of reviews of that film in the other film thread (you can go up from where I linked to)… I don’t know. I don’t think I’m feeling it, because I’m really sick of “well, but BOTH SIDES” NONSENSE. I mean, not everything needs to be seen from an “objective” POV, ya know.

11 Likes

Oh no. There is apparently an animated reboot of Good Times… (yes, THAT good times)…

seth meyers what GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It… looks awful.

6 Likes

My sentiments exactly, when I first heard about this bullshit.

6 Likes

Yeah, not sure what people were thinking… the show runner was Rananda Shepard? This is the previous show the woman produced…

:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

The critic in the vid nailed it; it looks like The PJ’s* software being run on bootleg The Boondocks hardware.

* I hated the PJ’s when it aired, and was I pissed at Eddie Murphy for it - dude hasn’t lived anywhere near a ghetto in over 45 years, and it showed.

5 Likes

Yeah, I never watched the PJs, but was a Boondocks fan (especially the original comic strip, which was pretty brilliant). This, I will most certainly not be watching…

5 Likes

Same here; I was with Aaron McGruder until that abysmal 4th season, where he started really ‘phoning it in.’

5 Likes

Seems like a pattern with him… he just sort of gave up on the comic strip, too. Too bad, as he had a keen eye for satire on issues of race. I really enjoyed his graphic novel with Reginald Hudlin, Birth of a Nation…

I really wish they’d gotten that alternate history series off the ground about formerly enslaved people getting 3 states after the civil war, because that sounded like a much more interesting idea than “but what if the CONFEDERATES WON” bullshit that the GOT guys floated.

5 Likes

What makes this Good Times reboot even worse are the names associated with it. Some producers and actors involved are defending themselves after a lot of angry feedback online. I usually enjoy Wanda Sykes’ work and tried to watch The Upshaws on Netflix - three times. There’s an episode with the male lead character getting arrested and spending time in holding being played for laughs…and I was done. This might be another example of the same problem.

Unless the actual show is the opposite of what’s in the trailer, I won’t be watching. I’ll look for follow-up reviews after more people have seen it.

5 Likes

This fell apart in the best way:

8 Likes

A hat tip to SNL’s wardrobe, wig and makeup department. (They nailed both noses and Butthead’s mouth.)

5 Likes

Looking forward to this:

3 Likes

Me too, it’s based on an excellent novel!

4 Likes