Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

Makoto Shinkai really does the most beautiful cartoons in Japan these days, and some of the convoluted love adventures too. Usually a boy or a girl come over a strange fantastic sobrenatural stuff that lead her/him to a true love with gorgeous lush backgrounds.

[Suzume | TRAILER OFICIAL (youtube.com)]

4 Likes

That looks beautiful and weird, in just the right measures!

1 Like

… never saw this before either

1 Like

This guy somehow manages to turn a 25-hour long cruise on a crowded ferry into a liminal journey where he’s the only person on the ship. It’s kind of uncanny.

1 Like

3 Likes

To be fair, with regards to Ngo that’s less a “thanks” and more a legal obligation. If he used Ngo’s footage, he’d have to acknowledge that.

I wasn’t familiar with Helen Lewis, but it looks like she’s just a transphobe with a high profile? Not sure why he’s thanking her here? Seems like her beat is mostly “feminism” (for a very narrow definition of feminism, that doesn’t include lots of women), so not sure why he’d consult her at all…

3 Likes

maybe it’s a different Helen Lewis?

3 Likes

The name above is, possibly, someone from the publisher Faber. The name below an exec from Orion Pictures so I guess it too is a rights and permissions thing rather than necessarily an embrace of their views.

I’m concerned about the film but I don’t think the corporate shout outs at the end sway me one way or another.

3 Likes

You mean Helen Lewis? Could be? :woman_shrugging:

:woman_shrugging:

Me too. I’ve read a couple of reviews, and seen an interview with the director, the main actors, etc, and it seems to be uninterested in the roots of the conflict, in favor of looking at it through the lens of the journalists in the film? I’m not sure it’s so easy to divorce the politics of a civil war from the people covering said war… I’m reminded of Joe Sacco’s books about the war in Bosnia and Palestine. He most certainly approached both situations as a journalist, with all those demands for objectivity and fact finding, but neither set of books come off as “objective” in the sense of ignoring the larger context…

3 Likes

No, I mean Walter Donohue seems likely Faber and Alana Mayo is Orion. I don’t see any connection between Helen Lewis and either of those. I thought Peterson might be but I can’t really see it. Could be permission for different things.

2 Likes

Oh, got ya… I have no idea, honestly.

2 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

snl season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

:woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Community GIF

7 Likes

… as we all know, “Law & Order” has always mined current events for storylines — and for the last couple of years Sam Waterston has played an unusually elderly district attorney

but he’s leaving just as the election would make his character’s situation more timely than ever

1 Like

so its the same movie with a de-aged winona? meh.

e/ better let these guys figure some stories out (I love rlm animated, wee zachary is just marvelous in his style);

1 Like

That looks like Jenna Ortega to me.

7 Likes

“The Juice is Loose”? Yikes!

(Yes, an unfortunate coincidence)

5 Likes