Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

It’s a slow, methodical slice of daily home life of Auschwitz’s commandant. There’s no narration or soundtrack, the characters don’t deliver exposition. The movie shines in the small details and performances. There is no scene of horrific violence, no chase scene, no underdog character stands up to the antagonist and prevails. Only the constant running of the death machine, always in the background it turns, barely seen except for what peeks from over the fence. The muted sounds from the camp surround the movie, always present but never commented on, it makes up the soundtrack of the characters lives. Ultimately the movie is about what these very human characters believe they’re entitled to, what they deserve and the bottomless horrors they will deliver on to the world in order to build their “perfect future”. The third act deeply effected me, by the end of the film I was very upset. I’m still upset. I may never not be upset. 12/10

6 Likes

Well, sounds like it’s done it’s job.

I’d recommend Son of Saul next… maybe Come and See, too.

3 Likes

I have three seasons here in the US too.

1 Like

I agree. I found it very powerful and moving, extemely well done, and not just for what it said about the people involved back then. It hit me about current lives too, including even my own.

4 Likes

Hot Priest is the best Ripley since Malkovich, and it’s in black and white! We are swooning!

4 Likes

that one is on the watchlist for mum and me!

3 Likes

I mean he is the next Ripley after Malko!

I did love the tip of the hat which was Malko showing up at the end as an “art dealer”. Quite wonderful.

I’ve read the books and seen plein soleil, and the American Friend, and the 1999 Anglo American one and the early 2000s Italo American one so I was always going to watch this. I’ve spent much of this week pretty sick and my faithless beloved put it on without me so I only caught an episode last night in the hour of consciousness I had but we finished it tonight and I loved Malko in it.

I always rwcommend reading. Ripley with Nino Rota’s score on at the same time.

ETA
The black and white was mixed for me. Like I dug the bleakness of the sea like in l’Aventurra and how cold that shoot was and horrible. And the roadhouse reminded me of l’Ossessione and some of the Roman scenes reminded me of many films but… the decision to have all the cobbles all the time wet, was a bit much for me. It’s a vibe that Plein Soleil and the Talented Mr Ripley seemed more on point for me. If we don’t feel envy, resentment., and if they don’t actually have beautiful lives that are simply easier, better, more pleasurable than ours: why murder all the fuckers?

My spelling is poor. Italian is not even a language on my keyboard .

3 Likes

Lol true. Best Ripley since Delon.

And thanks for prompting me to look up all the adaptations which reminded me that I still need to watch the Wim Winders version!

2 Likes

Is brónach, agus álainn é sin

What a delicious (pun intended) cartoon. I usualy despise fantasy cartoons from Japan, but I decided to give it a try. What a nice surprise. I thought it was a gourmet RPG comedy/adventure at first but it is a nice adventure cartoon.

3 Likes

We’ve been watching these as they come out each week! So much fun!

1 Like

Yes and it isn´t boring or derivative like many other cartoons. I liked the characters and I sense they cartoon is changing the one little by little. Lets see where they will lead us.

1 Like

Reminds me, I can’t remember if I got the recommendation here (so forgive me if I’m repeating), but The Masterful Cat is Depressed again is a great slice of life anime, if you’ve not seen it.

When your cat is excited because he got a checks notes knife sharpener?!?

5 Likes

I hope our cats never know how to sharpen and use a knife. Unruly creatures.

season 1 cat GIF by Animals

2 Likes

But what if they were using it to make you delicious meals, along with keeping your house clean and sorting your trash, shopping, and even keeping the books together!

1 Like

Now I saw a positive side. This cartoon seems to be a cute/SFW version of Ebichu.

2 Likes

Oruchuban Ebichu

Just looked that up, watched some episodes, and um, yeah, that strikes me as some pretty weird humor…

5 Likes

None of that in the Masterful Cat… just a very sweet slice of life anime of a office worker who has a giant cat who basically takes care of her. Very sweet!

4 Likes

I told you. It isn´t my cup of tea.

Totoro, the Butler.

ETA

Thanks. Obrigado. The cartoon is very funny indeed.

2 Likes

A couple of weeks I’ve bought the Mission: Impossible (classic TV series, to be clear) box set and am watching it, on and off, usually several episodes in a row.
Apart from the the usual things that go with watching what originally were weekly episodes back to back - noticing prop reuse, set reuse (to the point that one almost expects characters from any other show filmed on the Paramount lot casually strolling by), recurring extras - of a 1960ies TV show - lots of stock footage of actual foreign locations, “foreign locations” that are within easy driving distance of Los Angeles - and so on, and the bits that haven’t aged that well, and the basic premise and all the infringements of international laws and the plot holes…

… my takeaway from all this is this: I really want to hire the Impossible Mission Force as contractors to do some work around the house. They are always on time, come meticulously prepared, know exactly what they are and aren’t supposed to do, bring the right tools and materials for the job at hand, work fast and precise, and clean up behind them before they leave.

13 Likes