Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

So “Benoit Blanc and the Wake Up Dead Man” then?

5 Likes

I’m thinking just do what most mystery series with a recurring protagonist do (Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Philip Marlowe etc) and let each movie have its own unique title. Which is apparently what Johnson wanted to do but Netflix wouldn’t let him.

3 Likes

But it’s not a joke? It’s the title convention that Netflix imposed over the creator’s objections because they thought audiences would be too dumb to realize it was another installment in the same series. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

As opposed to stringing us along some more? I’ll take it.

3 Likes

… Xena, Warrior Detective

1 Like

Just caught Furiosa: a Mad Max Saga today. Great action flick but mildly disappointed that Anya Taylor-Joy never got to face off against any wasteland warlords in a chess match.

6 Likes

This new season of Doctor Who has been a bit inconsistent. The latest two have been pretty good, though. “Dot and Bubble” is essentially Black Mirror-lite and “73 Yards” is kinda sorta like a ghost story. The ones preceding those two were lacking in something for me. Gives me hope about what other kinds of stories we might see with this incarnation of the Doctor.

1 Like

Been trying to watch this:

Okay, it’s got Cumberbatch.
His missing kid’s imaginary monster tries to help him find his missing son.
I think.
Got about halfway through episode 3 before giving up.
It’s a misery-fest.

A couple of years ago, a similar series appeared.
This one I loved:

Mad imaginary friend helps hit-man find missing son who was kidnapped by crazy santa.
Much more like it, frankly.

5 Likes

That’s always been my issue with RTD. He always makes big swings and when they are great, they are REALLY great (the last two episodes) But when they aren’t so great (the first two) they just leave me feeling ho hum. Boom (third episode) was of course by the amazing Steven Moffat who always makes me happy.

3 Likes

… have you seen the “Doom Patrol” series

also from a Grant Morrison comic, and if anything even crazier than “Happy!”

2 Likes

Finally getting around to watching Resident Alien and also watching an anime called A Place Further than the Universe… also, I recently watched Dead Boy Detectives…

Dead Boys GIF by NETFLIX

The best character had to be Tragic Mick…

7 Likes

Loved this show.

2 Likes

Oh yes, loved it.

1 Like

Now, coincidentally, today I read an interview with Cumberbatch in The Big Issue.
It has set my interest up again, so I think I’ll give the series another go.
I’ll let you know.

A group I hang out with did a (re)watch party of “I’m a Virgo” last weekend. It is just sooooooooooooooo good!

It’s a slice of magical realism that addresses societal issues like poverty, exploitation, and capitalism; while it definitely comes on strong with its messages, it’s also a fascinating story in its own right, with interesting, flawed characters we come to care about.

Cootie is a young man who, because of his giant size, has been raised sheltered from the world. When he finally emerges into the world at large, he has to reconcile the ideals his parents instilled in him with the harsher realities of life as it is… and comes into conflict with an egocentric millionaire who cosplays as a superhero… and he’s chosen the young, innocent Cootie as his nemesis.

It’s definitely NSFW and not for kids: there’s lots of swearing, some violence, a sex scene (mostly more implied than shown, but it’s still pretty spicy.) It’s still excellent… and I wish we could get a second season.

7 Likes

I am watching My Oni Girl, a cute fantasy cartoon. It is a japanese take on the old “manic pixie girl” trope. As it is a japanese cartoon, this time the girl is a real supernatural creature. But it’s not quite like those supernatural romances that the fans of Japanese cartoons are so fond of. Although the girl is much more uninhibited than the boy, they are both growing up. It’s not like the manic pixie girls in American comedies. During the film, they both learn about themselves and grow and mature.

Tsumugi, the eponymous oni girl, is not just an object, a script prop used to make the little square boy grow. She has her own interests and agenda and she learnt about life and herself as Hiragi, the boy, supports her with affection. The cartoon entertains us a lot as it talks about repressed feelings and how silence between people sometimes creates a lot of problems.

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching Pistol. Half way thru and loving it.

1 Like

yeah, the mum and i got two episodes and i’m not so sure we will keep going. BC plays a real asshole of a dude, and i just can’t with this, unless there is some major turn around in his character.
couldn’t finish Happy, either. this type of subject matter is not entertaining, no matter how well the story is written or portrayed (Beautiful Bones comes to mind. i just can’t take it.)

1 Like