Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

Just started watching “Bodkin” on the Netflix machine. Seems grand so far. Surprised to see it produced by the Obama’s.

5 Likes

I was wondering about that show. We’re close to the end of the second season of Resident Alien (aka, Live Action Invader Zim) and was wondering what to watch next… maybe that?

5 Likes

get your card ready to play “Irish trope bingo” when you watch Bodkin.
entertaining enough, but painfully lazy, IMO.

5 Likes

I had heard that… What say you on that front, @NukeML?

3 Likes

I haven’t watched it but some of my friends have and they liked it. I think it was the dark humour that made it for them. Like you’d laugh at it and then feel uneasy. It was popular here.

So while it may hit the bingo card people here thought it was good enough to hold up (it’s a thing about podcasters and murder so the tropes are going to come thick and fast) and the actors workshopped dialogue in it. I probably couldn’t tell if the dialect was authentic or not.

So I just assumed it was a nope and not for me but several people tried to convince me otherwise.

I’m just fairly noped out by Netflix at this stage. It’s like a red flag for me.

7 Likes

Thanks!

5 Likes

Tropes a-plenty but they are fully self-realized and played deliberately for others to eyeroll about. Two episodes in and liking it so far.

5 Likes

Also, thanks!

3 Likes

What a beautiful movie. Full of ellipses, what is not said has as much meaning as words that are said sparingly. Even though one of the characters says right at the beginning that there are no secrets in her house, we feel tension in the air.

5 Likes

Yes, “Okay but nothing special” was my reaction too. The Irish tropes were handled by having the lead character come into the story expecting all of them and being corrected.

I mentioned The Last Right upthread, which has its share of Irish tropes, but in what is basically an Irish rom-com that’s to be expected, and I didn’t find them obtrusive (full discloure, I’m not Irish). It’s the sort of good-natured little film that gets lost among the superhero flicks, but that’s what I liked about it.

3 Likes

What I won’t be watching anymore, unfortunately:

6 Likes

Yes, wonderful! And for once, a solid adaptation of source material. I highly recommend Keegan’s novella.

(I see you linked the story; I read its expansion into a short book.)

5 Likes

Thanks. Obrigado!

I watched it last night with my wife and she said It was an experience that relieved the soul, after so many films with rushes and people talking over each other. Thank God there was a lot of silence and nothing very explained or with esoteric secrets. No plot twists, edgy jokes or smart plot devices. Just a story with many layers that went down very well.

6 Likes

I think you just described my favorite kind of movie!

4 Likes

I like cheesy movies that go very well with popcorn and soda. But sometimes I crave for a nice human story.

4 Likes

I got to see it in an art-house theater in NYC with my daughter when it came out. I don’t think it got a lot of commercial release in the States, but don’t quote me on that.

I’ll second/third/whatever the recommendation to see it. Beautifully written, shot, acted, etc.

3 Likes

Always late to shows, I just got around to watching Scavenger’s Reign. Amazing show. Hoping Netflix can give us a season 2.

5 Likes

Sometimes it is nice. As spoilers aren’t a problem for my generation, I prefer to watch shows a long time after the hype, just for the fun.

3 Likes

That seems a rather appropriate choice of music. On a couple of levels.

2 Likes

A housewife went out of her way to make a delicious meal for her husband only for a delivery man to take it to the wrong person, a widower who leads a life as boring as hers.

Her neighbor insists that she continue sending meals to this stranger, who starts exchanging letters with her. Little by little an epistolary friendship brings a little bit of human warmth to their lives.

7 Likes