Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

I agree. I loved it! :+1:

3 Likes

A gentle shy giant from Iceland who still lives with His mother, has no friends or a girlfriend, is bullyed at His job but slowly, very slowly, His life changes as He start taking square dance lessons.

Fusi, the shy giant, is silent and seems that He is ashamed of His size, always trying to become invisible, but He is a nice guy.

And the film avoids making us feel sorry for or embarrassed by his life. The director gives several clues about what could happen, but like in real life, not everything is the way we want or imagine, not everything is very good and not everything is a tragedy.

5 Likes

Looks like it’s available on Tubi in the States.

5 Likes

… Icelanders seem to like those characters

4 Likes

Next september…

[Uzumaki Anime’s Trailer Reveals September 28 Premiere on Toonami - News - Anime News Network]

Next year…

[FIRST LOOK: Common Side Effects | adult swim (youtube.com)]

[Common Side Effects First Look Released: Watch (comicbook.com)]

5 Likes

Uzumaki’s coming out soon?

wanda sykes gimme 244

That’s one of the few manga that’s ever given me the shivers, and I so want to see the anime.

6 Likes

I never lived abroad. I can only have a pale idea of what is leaving the homeland and venturing into a new life in a new country. Minari is a nice movie about an immigrant family from Korea trying to follow the patriarch dream of being a farmer in 1980´s United States.

[Minari | Official Trailer HD | A24 - YouTube]

7 Likes

Agreed, it’s so beautiful, so humane. And have some tissues handy!

4 Likes

Yes. How much do you want to pay for your dream? Sometimes the price is too high… I am still watching this movie with my wife and she is also enjoying it.

ETA

We finished it.

Yes. Sim, sim. And it doesn´t have all the clichés about immigration and the so called american dream. I really liked it.

4 Likes

… I hope there’s some point to this, beyond “glorifying the Mafia” and “being a vanity project for Sylvester Stallone”

but I doubt it :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

It’s another Taylor Sheridan creation, like Yellowstone and Mayor of Kingstown. The writing and the acting in Sheridan’s shows is usually very good, but he really loves to make heroes out of extremely violent people with questionable ethics and morals.

3 Likes

I’m finally getting around to watching the new season of Doctor Who. The episode Dot and Bubble…holy shit.

4 Likes

You know, i think it may be about racism!

:thinking:

3 Likes

Well…I didn’t want to spoil that for anyone who might not have seen the episode yet, but yes.

2 Likes

How am I just now discovering this show?

You had me at Bryan Cranston.

2 Likes

Ok, this episode is really sticking in my brain. There’s a lot more subtlety going on in this episode than I thought at first. There are layers here, even though the plot of the episode, and even what happens at the end, is pretty simple. But it’s really gotten inside my head. Ok, spoilers incoming, even though this aired 2 months ago.

So at first, I was a little embarrassed that I didn’t pick up on the racism of this episode’s person in distress. I mean, it was right there from her first interaction with the Doctor, but I missed it until the end when she made it clear what her problem with him was. But I think it was sort of meant to be missable. For one thing, we’re used to these futuristic alien cultures in Doctor Who as being multicultural, even if they’re dystopian. Plus, the episode on its surface seems like such a blatant critique of social media, that I just wasn’t looking for anything else. Also, in past episodes, like the one where the Doctor took Martha Jones back to Shakespearean England, the TARDIS’s perception filter extended to include them so that most people didn’t really notice that Martha was Black, except for Shakespeare, if I remember correctly.

But the other thing that I thought about was that the Doctor didn’t notice the racism, either, until the end. And it shook him. And then I realized…this is the first time he’s been Black. He’s not any more attuned to see this stuff yet than a white person who hasn’t been subjected to this their entire life.

And then the last thing that hit me this morning is that this episode is the inverse of the white savior trope. Here, we have a Black savior saving a population of privileged spoiled white people, and rather than celebrate him at the end once they’ve been saved, they reject him because he’s Black.

7 Likes

The fact that even the Doctor missed the microaggressions was what really hit the solar plexus for me. He thought he knew humans in all their strengths and weaknesses, but even he can miss what a good portion of people have to live with every day.

4 Likes
2 Likes

My wife and I we’re flipping through Freevee and came across The Trials of Rosie O’Neill starring Sharon Gless from 1990 - '92.

It’s about a public defender who left her fancy corporate law firm after a divorce.

So far it’s really good.

3 Likes

Y’all watching the Time Bandits?

It’s good fun! I don’t get the negative reviews? The acting is not bad, the jokes are funny and the visuals are not cheap looking. Whatever, dudebros.

Seeing Lisa Kudrow again does make me want to bust out Romy and Michelle - it’s been a while…

3 Likes