Whatcha Watchin’ (Season 3)

I finished the incomplete Season 1 today. “Oh Apollo, hear my prayer,” if Netflix doesn’t conclude this story and cancels it, I will cancel my subscription forever. Liking anything on Netflix these days is a fool’s errand.

5 Likes

We’re about halfway in, and I finally figured out what they’re singing in that ominous choral interstitial music.

It’s Latin, not Greek. And it’s Ecclesiastic pronunciation, not classical, but I make it as just the four words repeated:

Caelestis
Divinitas
Insanitas
Verum

Which is to say,

Celestial
Divinity
Insanity
Truth

3 Likes

Something, something, Seventh Day Advent Hoppists…

1 Like

I thought it was amusing that Goldblum’s portrayal of that character is practically identical to his performance as Grandmaster in Thor: Ragnarok, but it totally works.

3 Likes

Close!

I would argue that the words do form a full phrase: the true insanity of the heavenly gods.

1 Like

In that case they didn’t decline them though. :frowning:

1 Like

Ah, yeah, good point!

1 Like

In which case I want to extract some meaning from the declinations.

Celestis = adjective, “from the heavens, celestial”.
Divinitus = adverb, “by divine action, divinely”.
Insania = noun in the singular nominative, “madness, insanity”.
Vero = oh, this is complicated. It could be the adverb “truly”, it could be the verb in the active present first person “I speak the truth”, it could be the adjective verus “true”, but in the dative or the ablative.

If you were going to force it into a grammatical sentence, possibly with a crowbar, the nearest I can get out of it is something like “I, celestial insanity, speak the truth divinely”

But I suspect there is no sentence there.

Using the K.I.S.S. principle, I’d say the ‘sentence’ or ‘phrase’ there was written by someone who either has never studied Latin, or more likely had a year or two of it in grade school many, many years ago.

4 Likes

And why the heck use Latin when the gods in the show are Greek?

4 Likes

Oh, that’s a time-honored choice!

Octopuses? Octopi? Octopodes?

5 Likes
3 Likes

its kinda weird what netflix promotes heavily and what they dont;

from blue ruin and green room`s Jeremy Saulnier. really liked it and highly recommended.

3 Likes

Intriguing. Not to be too US-centric, but it’s like a Japanese version of Charles Burns.

(Which makes me wonder if any of his works have been animated.)

2 Likes

Does It count?

3 Likes

Sounds like it, thanks!

2 Likes

An official release date! They’ve been working on this for what feels like forever. And it looks like it was well worth the wait considering it looks so much like the manga.

1 Like

There’s this:

As with any anthology, some tales are excellent, others less so, but it’s a decent sampler of his work. (My favorite episode would probably be the Hanging Balloons.)

CW: body horror is one of the author’s common themes, so if that’s a problem, it might be better to skip the series.

3 Likes

I did not care for The Perfect Couple.

It was like The White Lotus without the humor, and the murder mystery that was supposed to be at the center of the plot only seemed to get in the way of the exploration of the fucked-up lives of the super-rich, which was much more interesting than the half-assed police investigation.

4 Likes

Who I thought of when I first encountered Uzumaki too.

We stopped watching the Netflix version pretty straight away though.
@Nightflyer , you can take my coke. I don’t want it!

2 Likes