Whatcha Watchin' (Season 2)

agreed. it waaaas…
meh.
as a total fan of comic book hero action, I got excited, but, yeah -
DUMB. pretty dumb.

4 Likes

You’re being far too generous.

I love the old tv series and Lynda Carter, and I really liked Patty Jenkins’ first film… but this sequel was just awful, in pretty much every way.

It was too long, too cliched, and made no fucking sense whatsoever… not even if factoring in typical ‘superhero universe’ logic.

6 Likes

true, dat.
Pedro Pascal’s talent was totally wasted and had, like, NO motivation that made any sense.
did you get him (with that awful wig) playing a sort of Nathan Fillion vibe? I couldn’t shake that and I don’t think that’s any kind of spoiler, in case anyone else wants to check it out?

4 Likes

They made him… blonde.

I was mortified.

4 Likes

Interesting stuff. He evidently did nothing of significance in the KGB. Then the wall fell and he went from unemployed to the President of Russia in 10 years. Well worth watching.

3 Likes

New rule for movies about Putin? –

Only worth watching if the director has since been poisoned.

9 Likes

7 Likes

I watched WW84 the night it came out and had nothing but positive expectations. O M G

It wasn’t just randomly bad, it was bad in every dimension that a film may be judged bad. Tone, pacing, logic, momentum, effects, character motivation, plot, ethics, …

I love super hero films and approach them with willing disbelief. WW84 shredded that will in about 20 minutes. Which shouldn’t be a surprise for DC movies. :man_shrugging:

I am having fun watching DC’s Doom Patrol.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t even exaggerating. (If anything, I was quite reserved.)

I went into it with intentionally low expectations, because hello, SEQUEL… but it was even worse than I ever would have expected, and my disappointment was only tempered by sheer relief that I did not pay to watch it.

5 Likes

Agreed 100%.

If I am watching a movie I will do a reasonable amount of mental gymnastics to enjoy a film. Try and enjoy what it does well and acknowledge but not focus the bad. WW84 was one of few movies (that I chose to watch) that I failed to find anything enjoyable to sustain me through out the movie. The best I could do was to spend my time noting all the WTF choices this film makes.

A few (Spoiler heavy) commentary videos I enjoyed after watching the movie.
I found it cathartic to see others had the same reactions I did.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing the pitch vid; it perfectly expresses all the glaring problems that are wrong with WW1984.

4 Likes

He is really good at capturing everything wrong with a movie while staying upbeat and entertaining.

4 Likes

I do like his style of critique.

5 Likes

Not bad so far. Probably pretty grossly glamorized for Mad Men era Russia, but then I guess Mad Men was a pretty glamorized Mad Men era America too. It has about as much espionage so far as Mad Men too. :thinking:

It has the same narrative pull as Mad Men though. I just keep watching somehow…

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching The Boys and still feeling silly that I didn’t see “Stormfront” = Nazi coming sooner.

5 Likes

Dude, it’s right there in her name.

That’s not even a spoiler.

5 Likes

I know, that’s what I meant.

4 Likes

The writers didn’t pull any punches and the digs at the fascist right were directly on the nose…

6 Likes

Yes, they certainly found a lot of ways to make the show feel topical in the Trump era. Like PSA for how students should prepare for the possibility of a supervillain attack at school, or the internet pundit saying “I can’t believe we actually have to say this today, but Nazis are bad.

3 Likes

As a palate cleanser to the incredibly, indescribably terrible WW1984, I recommend Promising Young Woman, written and directed by Emerald Fennell, and produced by Margot Robbie.

I only have one issue with the film at the very end… and even then, it’s not a huge gripe.

5 Likes