Whatcha Watchin'?

Before 2016 I would have argued that Basil Rathbone was, but I hadn’t seen Jeremy Brett nor William Gillette, the actor who gave Holmes the curved pipe prop. I posted elsewhere that William Gillette was the figure who I imagined when I read a Holmes story now. I wonder if I’ll see Brett as Holmes after watching the Granada TV adaptations. Gillette, Rathbone and Brett are the top three Holmes portrayers.

That character you speak of died in the canon, without explanation.

4 Likes

Not Michael Caine?

1 Like

Not for me, no.

4 Likes

Anyone watching Mr. Robot, or has it already been discussed to death? I know Cory likes the verisimitude of its hacking, but otherwise I haven’t noticed a lot of chatter about it here.

Saw the first episode recently and got excited at the premise and promise. However I’ve since watched three more and think I can already palpably feel the sluggard don’t-actually-advance-the-story requirement kicking in - y’know, the one that cripples all successful TV shows, since they don’t want them to end.

(Similar note: my kids started watching Once Upon A Time. Again, great first episode, I thought. Checked IMDB, holy hell, six seasons? Is this ever actually GOING anywhere? Galactica got a lot of flak, but at least they had the courage to end their story somehow…)

3 Likes

I liked (“liked”? inhaled!) the first season of “Mr. Robot”, the second was the final one I’ll watch. Not for pace, but for character development.
I will say that Carly Chaikin is my favourite actor in the show, and I loved the foreshadowing details and soundtrack.

I’ve gone so much into reading, controlling my own flow of attention, that it’s jarring to me to be at the mercy of authors’ pace and the network’s commercials.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of this, but apparently Robert Carlyle is in it? I was reading an interview with him about Trainspotting 2 and it was mentioned that this was what he has been doing for the last 5 or 6 years (it also suggested he’s had enough of living in Vancouver and wants to go back to Glasgow).

Reading about it, it sounds a bit like the Fables comics. Which also were an interesting idea, that went on, and on, and on…

2 Likes

Yes, Carlyle plays a creepy Rumplestiltskin which for me slightly recalls his fate in VERY OLD SPOILER 28 Weeks Later and is scaring the bejesus out of my daugher, in a fun way. Disclaimer though, we’ve only watched two episodes.

1 Like

Just watched episode 1 last night with the kids. I fricken loved it. Joan Cusack is so quirky and the children are amazing.

2 Likes

Ugh. I have to wait for Netflix to catch up.

Daredevil is the weakest? Wow. Haven’t seen Luke Cage yet but with the Punisher storyline that’s a big slam.

(I guess I got really tired of David Tennant in Jessica Jones. Something was too maniacal and forced for me.)

1 Like

OMG yes. I can’t even count how many people I see pop up in Downton Abbey and spend half the episode wondering what else I saw them in.

1 Like

I think he was burdened carrying the metaphor of every dude who ‘just wasn’t listening to what women are saying to him’. But I thought him appropriately terrifying, the man whose Id has no restraints within or without.

1 Like

Maybe I was just sad that The Doctor was acting that way.

I felt most of the time while I was watching Daredevil that I wanted to know what was going on elsewhere. If you got rid of all the bloody ninjas it would have been a lot better.

There’s a Punisher show coming too, isn’t there?

2 Likes

So, I hear. I can’t wait to see a Punisher/Kingpin reunion.

3 Likes

Rathbone had the looks and gravitas to be a proper Victorian Holmes. He was probably what Conan Doyle had in mind, but I just like the twitchy weirdness that Brett brought to the role.

If I remember the books, she never played a very important role, and certainly didn’t throw herself in front of a bullet to give Sherlock a reason to go back on drugs.

1 Like

gasp

Speaking of Karl, have you heard any of the “Ricky Gervais Guide to…” audiobooks? It’s all the Karl you love just in audio.

Looks like most of them are on utubez.

2 Likes

First season is pretty good.
Second season is decent.
Third season is kinda stupid; first half is Neverland and is pretty much universally panned; second half is another amnesia plot.
Fourth season: How good the first half is depends on how much you like Frozen. The second half, which is all about villains, wouldn’t have been too bad, except the two least likely characters got a “We have a deep dark secret in our past” backstory. And they can’t pull it off. Like, at all. They radiate wholesomeness. And then the ending of season four was bad enough to turn me off of the show entirely.

If I were you, I’d either stop after Season One, or watch to the end of Neverland (halfway through Season Three), which actually would have served as a decent series finale.

4 Likes

But the Fable comics were something I could get into.

Once Upon a Time? I sorta made it through most of season one when I realized I did not care about anyone.

4 Likes

Then I recommend staying clear of reading “The Tick #3: Night of a Million-Zillion Ninja”.

6 Likes