Whatever you do, don't use these illegal Lego techniques!

Originally published at: Whatever you do, don't use these illegal Lego techniques! | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Everything which is not allowed is forbidden.

2 Likes

But my constitutional rights & freedoms!

1 Like

So…you’re a designer now?

ILLEGAL!

1 Like

That scene where John Wick kills three men in a bar with a Lego block…

2 Likes

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

2 Likes

To forgive is not company policy.

5 Likes

For anyone who wants the story and doesn’t want to watch yet another video…

The LEGO system is based on units of 3 and 5. Three plates are the height of one brick, etc. Many know this. Fewer people realize this system extends to three dimensions, and interlocks are determined with every piece in every orientation. Until you see some of the more advanced techniques, it doesn’t generally become clear how far this really goes and how sophisticated the System (they capitalize it) genuinely is. That said, there are a few edge cases where rounding errors in the system of threes and fives can accumulate and connections can be formed that look okay at a glance, but place the pieces under stress. They interlock, but there is pressure on them and the connection isn’t fully seated if examined under magnification. These connections are referred to as “illegal” internally at LEGO so that designers won’t design things that are weak and could damage customers’ parts. That’s all. Enthusiasts use these connections all the time, of course. If you know what you’re getting into when you use them, they can be fine.

29 Likes

Lego thug life starts early, like 1-2 years old.

5 Likes

For those interested, there are other examples on the PDF featured here back in 2019:

9 Likes

Lego has always been about putting round pegs in square holes.

my little pony fighting GIF

8 Likes

That’s Duplo-Thug Life. Completely different because those blocks are too big to swallow.

4 Likes

Let’s not give the children any ideas.

Don’t laugh! They exist! And they don’t play by the rules.

In Lego City, ACAP

2 Likes

The fact that 2+ million people have had the free time to watch this video reassures me that the (military, climate, economc) apocalypse is not yet upon us.

2 Likes

it’s been years, but i wonder if it was illegal when i used minifig pants as space ship cargo bay door hinges

5 Likes

I’m sure Lego law enforcement has their hands full trying to get Rico charges to stick on all the brick-bending youtube channels (which are actually kinda difficult to watch, what with all the mic’d up creaking…)

Language inflation is … annoying.

That is all.

Maybe they have a Lego jail at Legoland? THough I’d imagine it wouldn’t be hard to break out of.

2 Likes

Units of 3 and 5.
Similar to a popular variation of dominoes.