What's this mysterious penis-shaped island in the Pacific Ocean?

Originally published at: What's this mysterious penis-shaped island in the Pacific Ocean? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I think it’s actually 500 meters long. A 500 mile dong would be pretty famous by now even if it is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

17 Likes

… how do you get 500 mile long dong when the scale at the bottom shows it to be about 400 feet wide and maybe about 1000 feet long?

4 Likes

I’d have named it Pen Island.

24 Likes

Yes. The “measure distance,” um, tool, shows it to be 490 meters. Impressive girth, though.

5 Likes

Sometimes an island is just a cigar.

12 Likes

Pretty sure there are already 14 other Pen Islands. Better off calling it Pen15 Island to avoid confusion.

12 Likes

“When the stars are right R’lyeh will rise”

7 Likes

Maps totally suck me in. I spent an hour last night trying to find out what the big black spot is in Syria after watching a documentary on the Third Crusade. It’s obviously a massive lava field, but it was unmarked on google maps and it took quite a while to even find the name.

6 Likes

Needs more @thomdunn Thom, you may wish to edit your post. Mistaking m (meters) for m (miles) is a bit obvious. (Nothing to do with an imperial-units-savvy USanian not being familiar with metric notation, I’m sure.) :wink:

(Sorry, could not resist the dig re metric. Probably far from deserved.)

5 Likes

I think middle schoolers would take a keen interest in geography if it was 500 miles long. Just sayin’…

(For comparison, Lake Superior has a maximum length of 350 miles, so a 500 mile long island would be pretty noticeable on a globe. It’d also probably be inhabited. Perhaps the locals would be affectionately known as “Seamen.” C’mon. folks! Help me out! The jokes practically write themselves!)

4 Likes

I see a hot dog with out the bun, and a couple of beans at the bottom? Crazy, I know.

5 Likes

This was just a sloppy typo, but damn it’s a funny one.

3 Likes

But they’re all Dicks!

2 Likes

I mean, the name “Pen Island” was right there…

1 Like

Caldonia
Caldonia
What makes your big head so hard?

1 Like

I’m sure it’s not the first time the length of this particular island has been mis-reported :wink:

6 Likes

“What’s this mysterious penis-shaped island in the Pacific Ocean?”

The question answers itself.

2 Likes

Looks just like mine! I checked! Just not as much green fungus.

1 Like

The tourist map at https://www.iles-loyaute.com/images/sampledata/incontournable/ouvea/plan_ouvea.pdf calls it “Su”. That’s pretty boring considering the next island to the West is called “Ujeeteetr”.

2 Likes