When hosting SNL, Donald Trump ‘struggled to read,’ says former cast member. Can the President read?

That’s different. Obama’s black. /s

17 Likes

“Fewer” words, Ashley Parker. Since we are on the subject of struggling with language and all that…

1 Like

Very true.

He has no high ground, imaginary or otherwise. However, Trump’s reading skills deficit is far, far down the list of what matters. Focusing on it is a petty pleasure, one that diverts people from Trump’s real failings.

Trump’s probable aliteracy is a handicap, like FDR’s paralysis; it’s something a worthwhile President could overcome. It should not be an issue. However, his lying, manipulative practices and pervasive lack of character are issues and they are made evident in how he handles his deficit. The guy was not dim in the prime of his life (view videos of interviews from the 80s and 90s; he was far sharper then). However, he was always an egotist, and he seems to have grown worse with the years.

His ugly character is a flaw worthy of criticism, his inability to cold read is not.

7 Likes

D’oh! Of course; I just knew there must some good objective reason for all those smart, caring, objective, real-world based people to behave that way.

2 Likes

I mean, seriously, can you explain away the fact that he had many policies which can be objectively described as middle of the road at best, and (such as with the ACA) was straight out of the GOP playbook? Was his foreign policy somehow less bellicose than the GOP would have liked? Was he some how much more anti-captialist? Obama made a wonderful middle of the road republican, actually. But they refused to go along with literally anything he did, no matter how much he bent over backwards to listen to them and bring them into the fold, because… why, exactly?

18 Likes

Well… kinda’.
Dyslexia can be overcome.

5 Likes

Since the Democrats are merely the slightly less insane conservatives it’s no surprise at all that Obama’s policies were what they were. And as for the Republicans… no, there’s no explaining such simple minded adherence to plain outright evil. Other than religion, of course.

5 Likes

You don’t think racism can help explain it? Really? Have you not lived here in America?

12 Likes

True. However, his response to an inability to read (to wit, ignoring and hiding it), in the most powerful position in the United States government is part of the ugly character.

6 Likes

Clearly Trump can read. He was reading off of a teleprompter the other night, when he made his speech after the bombing. Unless it was all an elaborate bit of stagecraft, and he was reciting the speech with someone reading it to him through an earpiece, and I have trouble believing that.

1 Like

I actually believe this was the case during his first joint address to Congress. It was the only time his speech sounded so un-Trump-like. Somebody else not only wrote it but had to be narrating it to him as well.

5 Likes

It is worth noting he clearly did this before heading off to the hill a few months back before his big speech to the joint session, so take that for what you will

2 Likes

Okay! That made me laugh.

7 Likes

Wow. Your post is almost exactly the same as one posted earlier but was deleted. How did you manage that?

13 Likes

Do we need to “believe” it? It happened.

Okay, I’m going to have to call [citation-needed]. Like who?

21 Likes

It’s not just that they’re unable to frame a coherent argument, I’m realizing; it’s that they don’t even understand that they’re supposed to. Grade school smack talk is a discussion to them, and its won by humiliating your opponent. That’s why they’re so adamant that online harassment is free speech.

25 Likes

This. A thousand times this. There literally is no way to argue (debate) wth them. “Ner ner ne-ner ner” IS a debate, for them. I wish I could suggest some way to address this issue.

(ETA: Apart from a time machine to the past and an ability to totally change the US education system.)

12 Likes

Yes, that’s pretty much the size of it. Trump is a genuine imbecile, a simpleton.

He illegally surrounds himself with his own family. That’s called nepotism. The man is a disgrace who doesn’t understand or comply with the responsibilities of his office. The sooner he’s removed the better.

23 Likes

Well I’m amazed* at their appointment.

*Astounded and horrified would also do.

10 Likes