Where to escape climate change in the U.S.

I’m on a sliver of white between green and red zones. Meh :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Agreed. I live in the Chicago area and it is a really cool city to hang out in. We used to take our kids downtown every year at Christmas time to spend a couple of nights and see shows like Blue Man Group. We took the train which they enjoyed and were able to get around the city easily. My son now lives in the Lincoln Park area with lots of options for a guy in his mid-20s. He can work at home quite often, but when he has to work in the office it is a quick ride on the Brown Line.

I’ll also give a shout out to Cleveland. The downtown area is very manageable. I took my son their during his senior year in high school for some quality road trip time. He is a big basketball fan so I was able to get some very good seats for the Cavalier / Thunder game when those teams featured LeBron, Durant and Westbrook (great game that went down to the last shot). And the cost vs a similar game is Chicago is quite something. We also went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, had some nice meals at restaurants right by our hotel and then shot down to Canton to visit the Football Hall of Fame. It was a great trip.

I have never really visited Detroit. Attended a couple of conferences out in the suburbs and driven through it to get to Windsor and on to Toronto.

And I may end up retiring in Minnesota because my daughter, grandson and grandbaby to be live up there.

Your place looks very cool.

5 Likes

I’ve made my principle residence in a large and affluent city in the green zone in significant part because I want to maintain some semblance of the life I’m accustomed to when I enter my retirement years (and to provide a haven for younger family members). That’s just not going to happen for me if I’m in the red zone. That doesn’t mean I won’t be affected by the climate emergency, though. In the unlikely case that climate refugees don’t start showing up 20 years from now life is still going to be harder if humanity doesn’t get its act together.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Pennsylvania is a bit of an odd duck when it comes to laws around the sale of alcohol compared to the majority of the states in the “green” zone.

6 Likes

“I had a hooouuusseeeee, in Kalamazoooooo.”

1 Like

I wonder if she ever met my father, who was a field engineer for Burroughs and did training in various places.

3 Likes

She worked at world headquarters, about 3 minutes from here, but trouble calls took her all over the city. She was the only female senior field engineer. Her name was Gloria.

6 Likes

ICYMI:

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. Had not seen/read that one yet.

My parents started “hurting social cohesion” when they (a) [legally] emigrated from war-torn countries to the U.S. in the 1950s, and then (b) ignored U.S. miscegenation laws in 1960s. So yeah, it’s very likely that given the fact of my existence, I would be labeled as a social-cohesion-hurter even if all I am is a happy mutant, a generalist, interested in many and wide-ranging things. Chief among those: clean breathable air, clean water, soil fertility with a notable lack of heavy metals and other toxic nasty stuff, etc.

Yeah me too.
I glazed over at that point and went back to my own way of contemplating the matter.

Wow.
Serious long-range planning.
Good on you.
Your fam’s lucky to have you!

Truth.
Every single living organism is going to be affected.

The planet’s global south has been affected rather more than us in the northern hemisphere, but one look at the First Nations villages flooding out in the Arctic right now, the endless fire weather bulletins in Greece, Canada, U.S. PNW, a glance at the 2021 Polar Vortex that kicked me hard… these all tell the story: no escape, just timing.

It’s a global pandemic in itself. A huge number indeed. I can’t even begin to frame my feelings about what AirB&B and short-term rental properties and venture- and vulture-capitalists and hedge funders have done to housing–residential housing. My eyes are on Berlin after that vote. We… shall… see…

:eyes:
:grimacing:

Sheesh you ain’t kidding.

And then the Germans showed up in Ohio.
As they so often do…

1890 - An estimated 2.8 million German-born immigrants lived in the United States. A majority of the German-born living in the United States were located in the “German triangle,” whose three points were Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and St.Louis.

ETA: grammar :roll_eyes: … and punctuation

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.