Where's my cake?

I’m just not on that list. I don’t know why. My join date is noted on my profile as June 27, 2013 (so, according to you, it should have been up starting at 8 EST yesterday until 8 EST today, because it’s set to UTC, yeah?).

1 Like

UTC is lame…

Seriously I am for reals gone for the evening now… I expect a page of notifications from all of you!
(or @orenwolf could go ahead and close the thread as my question has been answered but I am still amused by things here)
thanks @codinghorror and @orenwolf

2 Likes

Congrulation to you all in purple!

6 Likes

Also, @milliefink has the same join date as me, and she has cake? so… I dunno! Guess I don’t get cake? Maybe someone thinks I’m too fat? :wink:

1 Like

I see the issue.

The actual page is UTC https://bbs.boingboing.net/cakeday/anniversaries otherwise it would be different for different people.

However, the cake emoji will only appear based on your LOCAL time. So for the people in the list, for me, I’ll see the cake glyph at midnight tonight which is about … 6 hours away still.

I see an improvement we can make to the anniversaries page to show the date literally which would help at least.

4 Likes

So today is my join date, and I see no cake.

2 Likes

So I should have seen it last night at midnight, yeah?

2 Likes

Me neither!

2 Likes

Today is still the 27th based on my time zone and probably yours. Look again…

The difference is the server calls the shots and it is the 28th in UTC time. Only one day can be the cakeday.

You should have had the emoji yesterday though, as should @Mindysan33!

2 Likes

Just to make it clear that “today” is kind of a loaded concept when dealing with the world… I had a cached version of this page open from earlier UTC today

Unclear why people are missing though… following up on that.

Edit: there is zero indication of this but it is capped at 20 users. Also it is in user Id order which is … insane?

Thank you for bringing all this to my attention @tobinl as many aspects of this are pretty terrible from a UI perspective… getting improvements in to make this more betterer and more clear.

6 Likes

That would explain Cemetery Man then.

3 Likes

Yep now I see cake, weird.

Me too.­

1 Like

Yeah something is amiss here. I think it’s mostly timezone madness vs. UTC but our cakeday UI is doing us zero favors either…

moment(val).format("MMDD")
"0627"
moment(val, 'YYYY-MM-DD').format("MMDD")
"0628"
1 Like

My wife and I love that movie

I prefer pie to cake.

2 Likes

Nah, Zombie is actually pretty coherent. Not everything is completely explained, but it’s not that irrational (for a film with walking cadavers).

1 Like

Well if it makes more sense than Burial Ground then it has that going for it. Though that is not Fulci but still an Italian zombie movie.

1 Like

OK we redeployed some changes here, see if it looks better.

1. There were bugs
  2. The anniversary / birthday page references actual dates instead of “today”
  3. All users on a given day are shown (via subtabs), and ordered by received likes rather than user id

https://bbs.boingboing.net/cakeday/anniversaries

3 Likes

I would like to say thanks! I had cake for a bit in the wee hours just after I got back from the long airport run.

2 Likes

I has cake!

1 Like