Which song have you been playing all your life?

1967… I got both of you beat, you whippersnappers.

Get a job, hippie! And take a bath!

2 Likes

I kinda like guitars.

1 Like

Hello? Teen Spirit? That song came out September 10, 1991 (apparently).

So if you weren’t born between September 11, 1972 and September 10, 1978, it wasn’t written for you. You weren’t supposed to like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

(I was, and I never got into Nirvana. I was probably listening to Del Amitri or something).

I did go to Viretta Park on the 20th anniversary of Cobain’s death, though - although that was my wife’s idea, not mine.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I was way more into TMBG, REM, The Cure, and other bands of that ilk then.

I really liked Jane’s Addiction, Soundgarden and some other grunge bands but Nirvana just didn’t wow me.

Since I was old enough to work the record player, it’s been this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWlutOSJ4F0

1 Like

Anything that’s not on Bleach sucks. There, I said it.

1 Like

Heh… okay, since you put it that way…!

This is the first song I remember playing on our record player, circa 1975. My brother’s old band (that’s him singing) on a charity record 101 KGB-FM did annually in the 70s to promote local bands’ songs about San Diego.

They were lovable proggy nerds. Opened for the Kinks once.

Oh, and this was our record player: in the top of a big Curtis Mathes console TV. Tuner and 8-track deck on the right.

7 Likes

Like I said, Bleach was the tits. Everything after was meh. Now, the God Bullies or Tad…

1 Like

Wow his hair has not changed at all.

1 Like

Heh. He grew it out again. For reasons.

http://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/

2 Likes

Wait, what’s Al Franken doing on that page?

Hey, it’s not my page! I was watching The Daily Show one day shortly after Jon Stewart discovered Lindsey Graham on the page. When I saw my brother’s face on The Daily Show as the very first face on that page, I just about died laughing. Mick wasn’t all that thrilled about it after all the calls he got the next morning, but took it in reasonably good grace.

Come to think of it, my wife’s aunt looks a bit like Franken.

2 Likes

Well, what’s good though? Our definitions of what makes a good song might differ, yeah?

Just in general, I don’t know if spotify is the best way to quantify musical plays or the popularity of a song. Not all of us stream music via the internet, and the assumption that that is the most coherent way to understand the popularity of music doesn’t seem very inclusive to me. That being said, the industry has long had a hard time measure what is actually popular. Each new thing is imagined as the magic bullet that will finally get some real, concrete numbers. But what about the second hand and pirate markets? What about tape trading?

[ETA] And if you look at the numbers from all decades list is heavily weighted towards bands from the 90s/2000s. Plus, some artists aren’t spotify…

Still an interesting set of metrics.

1 Like

Isn’t this like the second time you’ve mentioned KMFDM today? You’re like me and Laibach lately! Not that I’m complaining, as I too love me some KMFDM… :wink:

1 Like

I know, see, this is the problem!

Part of me totally agrees since I don’t use Spotify, and if I absolutely need to stream something I don’t already “own,” then I’ll find it on YouTube. The vast majority of my listening these past several years has been off an iPod.

But the wiser part of me acknowledges that my practices and preferences matter not at all in these metrics, for I Am An Old.

4 Likes

“Bohemian Rhapsody” got a bump from Wayne’s World, too.

3 Likes