White Americans abandoned democracy and embraced authoritarianism when they realized brown people would soon outvote them

I’m sorry, but history is far more than just jumping from war to war.

13 Likes

It’s the only kind of racism I support!

giphy

14 Likes

16 Likes

Waiting for Very Concerned sea lions to drift in now and tell you that you’re not reaching out effectively to people who would surely otherwise listen. Surely you will one day realize that conversations about race must always be conducted on terms approved by the master race polite, reasonable people.

15 Likes

But I haven’t said anything about the power of government or limiting speech.

I pointed out that you’ve said that you hate pc culture, aka “not willfully offending others” but you’re here complaining about a term that you feel offended by.

11 Likes

No slippery slope at all:

you know what? you might as well give up trying to explain it to them. i’m probably feeling a bit cynical after the past few days of dealing with our recent peterson fanboi. every quote i used in that disappeared thread applies just as well here–

we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

there are two ways to be fooled. one is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

we are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge . . .

the irony of American history is the tendency of good white Americans to presume racial innocence. ignorance of how we are shaped racially is the first sign of privilege. in other words. It is a privilege to ignore the consequences of race in America.

o foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not . . .

15 Likes

Oh, all right then. You’re simply saying so has suddenly, completely convinced me. Thank you so much for explaining!

9 Likes

Oh, I know.

I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, here; merely making it crystal clear that I’m not about to change how I write and talk, just to ease one person’s misplaced feelings of discomfort.

13 Likes

The complaint about PC culture is that it looks to enforce the preferred norms of speech. If you wish to suggest polite norms of speech, no one will object. If you wish to enforce them with judicial or administrative punishments, then people start to complain.

Having a reasonable code of conduct in this forum makes perfect sense. Having campus rules or societal laws that try to pick which words or which sentiments can be expressed and which ones will bring the wrath of the authorities down is another.

It is good to not willfully offend others. I complained that someone was doing just that. I did not suggest that there should be punishment, just more considerate speech. Others referred to that as "policing", but as there is no authority invoked, I would call it "conversing" or "discussing".

By the way, what are you doing with these weird text boxes? Dude, they’re a pain to read!

10 Likes

Ya need a side of some white tears with that…

tumblr_m6k2ldSGOO1qzyj5fo1_500

11 Likes

Which is what you did here.

This is what “pc culture” as you call it is. Minorities suggesting polite norms.

Who is doing this?

12 Likes

the irony of American history is the tendency of good white Americans to presume racial innocence. ignorance of how we are shaped racially is the first sign of privilege. in other words. It is a privilege to ignore the consequences of race in America.

tim wise

edited to provide attribution for the quote.

13 Likes

You haven’t been paying attention, then. People object to “polite norms of speech regularly”, in real life.

8 Likes

You seem to still have a hard time understanding the difference between “offensive” and “harmful.” No Scott Pruitts were harmed in these posts:

One can only hope that every one of these posts was offensive to that asshole. (hint: that’s not hate speech)

Contrast with what Roseanne Barr said about Valerie Jarrett. That was hate speech. Simple enough. Thanks.

12 Likes

BTW, a possibly useful resource for dealing with Gaelic-descended relatives:

7 Likes

He’s posting via email and his email client is set up wrong.

1 Like

6 Likes

I don’t think I know any white people at all who feel offended by that word. The only people who bring it up are the people who obviously don’t think it is fair they can’t use the N word.

10 Likes