White Florida cops appear to racially profile driver, then learn she's state attorney Aramis Ayala

Oh yeah, they have cards.

30 Likes

Let’s hope it’s a bulletproof defense

4 Likes

The moment he gives her his “explanation” she smiles, like “OK . . . I know . . . this again.”

From the sound of his voice he knows he’s full of shit too.

It’s like he’s saying being innocent of any crimes is “suspicious.”

20 Likes

[clears throat]

8 Likes

I love the look on her face when he says that. You can just see her thinking “Mmm-hmmm. Yeah, it’s the WINDOWS that were dark.”

8 Likes

The saddest part is that maybe they didn’t know what they were doing.

1 Like

Is this appropriate?

Should start at 1:38

3 Likes

The registration and licensing system I had access to in the 1990s logged every query with a user name. Maybe you could get around it with a root password and an sql client, but otherwise everything is recorded.

6 Likes

Minor correction: Ms. Ayala is the State Attorney (Prosecutor) for the Ninth Judicial Circuity, not Attorney General. As such, she serves Orange and Osceola counties in Central Florida.

12 Likes

The logging system, like dash and personal recorders, has a bad tendency to be down at inconvenient times.

9 Likes

But wait, Ann Coulter has insisted that racism no longer exists in America! How could this happen?

5 Likes

She will prob get driven out of office for making them look bad. republican state, after all.

2 Likes

If all that concerned people did was wish/hope/complain until somebody else in an authoritarian hierarchy addressed the issue - probably not much of anything. But that would be rather defeatist and ineffective.

1 Like

oddly, the thing that MOST concerns me, and is not mentioned in our comments?

What if she was NOT states atty?

how would she have been treated them???

10 Likes

cops DO randomly run plates all the time, but I don’t think that’s what happened here. The whole “it came back blank” or whatever sounds like a total dodge. But I was in an all-white-person-populated car that got pulled over when the plate was registered to a different make of automobile (my dip friend put a random plate–god knows where he got it–on his car since he didn’t have his registered. he went to jail that night.)

3 Likes

Other things not mentioned:

“sky is blue”

“water is wet”

7 Likes

Im thinking that at a minimum those cops names will go down in her book with a black mark by them. They will never be forgotten and if an opportunity presents itself then she will step on them hard.

3 Likes

3 Likes

It is more likely than not that the states attorney would have a confidential license plate.

2 Likes

I have to say, as much as I’m concerned about police-state tactics and general racism by police force, this seems pretty innocuous. We have the police randomly running license plates for warrants and what-not, which I do not have an issue with in general. He says right off the bat without hesitation that they ran her plates and came back with a “nothing”, meaning a no-result search, which could indicate false plates/auto-theft, computer error or perhaps just user error. If they were truthful in that statement, they were justified in pulling her over.

Where it gets a little weird is when he talks about window-tint. That could be chalked up to (what sounds like) a junior patrolman a bit freaked out that he pulled over a state’s attorney. Might also be construed as a knee-jerk reaction for a police force that routinely pulls over people for no reason and has a back-pocket excuse. Now that I’m writing this out, I can see there may be more of an issue here. I still, however, don’t think we can absolutely say they pulled her over for the crime of Driving While Black.

3 Likes