White Florida cops appear to racially profile driver, then learn she's state attorney Aramis Ayala

me thinks …‘collateral’

2 Likes

I still dont get why she told them her exact title though. She could have simply said “government worker” and seen what their next move was. Showing them her superhero cape and mask so early cut the conversation short. “Oh, you’re a member of the League of Justice? Never mind, madam. Have a good day.”

7 Likes

they would have treated her like a subhuman toy for their authoritarian gaming.

this has been today’s edition of simple answers to simple questions. thanks for playing.

14 Likes

The first time in my life I got pulled over was actually for “illegally tinted windows”. It was a used car I’d just bought, so it wasn’t my fault. I was also driving a Kia through an extremely rich neighborhood; I guarantee 12 more expensive cars passed us with windows as dark as mine.

12 Likes

She is hardly omniscient, for instance, she was quite surprised when that house landed on her sister.

3 Likes

those cars don’t even come with turn signals, so they won’t get cited for that, either.

4 Likes

Presumption of innocence. Presumption of innocence. Presumption of innocence.

I said it three times so you see what the missing element is that made this a FAIL.

Welcome, new community member.

15 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, I believe that’s the, “I am going to own your balls”, move.

8 Likes

First time I ever got pulled over was 1993 in South Bend, Indiana. I was white, middle-class, and 17-years-old. They had zero reason to pull me over. They nevertheless had me empty my trunk (full of hockey equipment) on the road and had me walk the drunk line. This was 3 in the afternoon and I hadn’t been drinking. They let me go with all my gear spread all over the highway side and relegating to me picking up my gear in high speed traffic.

My point is that cops can be dicks. Not all of them, but a lot of them. A lot of the time it is about race. Most of the time it is about power and authority.

7 Likes

Well she did get their names – and that one guy sounded audibly nervous and kind of stumbling over himself. He does anything out of line? She’ll remember who he was.

I think it’s called “she’ll be watching him like a hawk” – or assigning someone to do the same. If she does.

Frankly, just him being nervous and fearing repercussion from a higher up, is satisfying enough.

1 Like

i’d guess about 75-80% of the time race is behind the “no apparent reason” stop. what happens to the stopped driver afterwards is along about 95+% racially driven.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Of course, there aren’t actually any legitimate ways to influence police policy soooo… really anything is defeatist and ineffective. If it isn’t it’s forbidden. We could bust up their corrupt unions. Fire police officers en-masse. Start from scratch. But that’s not possible because it would shatter the illusion of authority that props up literally every aspect of modern society.

2 Likes

racism is alive and well in this country, make no mistake.

what power does is amplify the racism that already exists in a community. implicit bias, and sometimes outright hate, suddenly have consequence.

cop culture - separating people into good and bad, not so much because of the laws being broken but by whether they show the proper respect and are in the trusted network - only exacerbates the issue.

9 Likes

You were profiled as well, just not racially. You got pulled over for being a male teenager, and I’m sure they were hoping to find drugs in your trunk. Your experience in no way indicates that the majority of people stopped without cause are like you. You could tell by the look on her face that this was NOT the first time she’s been stopped for DWB. And you could tell by the sound of the officer’s voice that he knew he was busted. Did he run her plates before pulling her over? I’m sure he did. But why? I doubt it was a random running of plates. He saw a black woman driving a nice car, and decided there was a better than average chance the car wasn’t hers, and so ran the plates. When it came up blank, he decided there had to be some shenanigans going on. And the instant he saw her driver’s license, he tried to get out of there ASAP.

8 Likes

I’m disappointed the body cam published stopped as they walked back to their truck. I bet it would have been an illuminating conversation they held once they were back in the safety of their hidey-hole.

7 Likes

I still think that the No Result thing is bogus. Though if real i can understand the stop, but the officer should have been able to better explain the stop if that was the case. The way he explained it seemed like he did the stop just because.

4 Likes

It may be bogus. I know nothing of these databases. Regardless, he couldn’t tell her the real reason he ran her plates or pulled her over because that reason was that she was black. So he was trying to make up a more plausible reason on the fly, as well as throwing in another reason for the stop separate from running the plates, and he failed pretty hard on both counts. He’s obviously not used to having to explain himself to someone who knows the law, so he didn’t have a good, plausible excuse already prepared.

3 Likes

As it is:

As it should be: [quote="brenbart, post:37, topic:104379"] will go down in **everyone's** book with a black mark by them [/quote]
1 Like

She may have been in a hurry and wanted to cut it short. Dealing with this kind of crap every day of one’s life tends to reduce the time one wishes to spend making a point.

See also, GSWB, (Getting Shot While Black).

7 Likes