White Florida cops appear to racially profile driver, then learn she's state attorney Aramis Ayala

This is interesting, thanks for sharing!

We don’t know what state you’re in of course, but across the nation the average percentage of African American population is about 12.6%

Where that becomes a problem is that logically, by ratio, you and your pasty pals should be getting pulled over almost 8 times as often as your colored confreres. However, in our unfair world, you are actually only half as likely to be pulled over - a disparity of 16x!!!

9 Likes

Yeah, I caught that too, very cool. And her asking for their business cards, is that something that anyone can do with an expectation of getting their cards, ie, identifying information? Or do they comply only because they now know she’s a higher ranking government attorney?

Edit to add: The other question I have is this. Why would they pull over this vehicle if the tags came back empty? The way I interpret that is that they ran her license plate, and their computer system didn’t return any data. How does that make this vehicle suspicious? Seems that they should cast suspicion on the supplier of their ‘tag running’ system, probably another proprietary systems that costs the state tens of millions of dollars a year for cloud storage and retrieval services, which just broke. On camera. In front of a state attorney (and the internet public). This, exactly this, coupled with a claim of dangerous tinted windows, shows to me that it was definitely a DWB incident.

Again, I am so overjoyed about the loads of cash that we, as taxpayers, spend on the tools and toys our ‘protectors’ ‘need’ in order to keep us ‘safe’. /s

3 Likes

The story identifies two white police officers. One of the cops was black - you can see him at the end backing towards the police truck. These issues of race and law enforcement are complex. It’s a question of economics and education, not skin color. It’s always been about those things - from the inception of slavery and the founding of the nation until now.

It does happen. My first car was registered to a person with no name or address, so it had a legal registration, but appeared abandoned when the plate was run. Fun times getting it out of impound.

That said, I doubt it happened in this case.

1 Like

Adding to your observation.

If the culture in the police department is to target minorities then the color of the officers skin is a bit besides the point. It does sound different if one were to say that a black officer stops a black driver vs white officer stopping black driver, but it doesn’t change the reality that minorities are stopped more regardless of the ethnicity make up of a given police department. But the realities behind the numbers are often more complicated than just race, though it can be a certain indicator of the system failing those in poorer ethnic areas.

3 Likes

It probably does!

The SQL language was invented by IBM in the 1970’s, and mainframes tend to have better logging capabilities than most other systems.

But I’ll give you the sorcery. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, thanks for joining so you could educate us on the finer points there!

3 Likes

Devil’s Advocate–couldn’t the dark tint argue against him being aware of her color? And tint beyond a certain point is illegal. A prosecutor probably should avoid it altogether; it’s probable cause–for violation of the window-tint statute.

My assumption is that the tint wasn’t a problem and wasn’t that dark, but the officer threw it out there to see if that excuse would stick.

4 Likes

I’m guessing not a damn thing will happen to either cop. The DA needs the cops more than the cops need the DA. If she harasses them too much then his cop buddies with magically get sick before court dates or start forgetting key facts during testimonies. There’s a reason cops can shoot chained up dogs, children and unarmed adults and keep their jobs.

3 Likes

The DA wouldn’t be able to do much, but the circumstance being in the public eye does certainly force their superiors to address it. I highly doubt it’d go beyond them getting reprimanded, what the officer did was blatant and shitty but not something that’d get him fired unless it was found that there were other more serious offenses they had also been responsible for during their time with the force.

1 Like

These two sentences don’t fit too well together logically.

7 Likes

You beat me to it.

My first thought upon reading the comment was:

###“She wanted to live.

More than making a point, more than proving that systemic racism is real, more than gathering ammunition against potentially bigoted authority figures who may have nefarious intentions… most Black folks want the ‘privilege’ of being able to live through an encounter with the police.

12 Likes

my older son and i have had several talks with his biracial, teen-aged sons about appropriate behaviors around the police. we both want my grandsons to stay alive so we’ve had to explain that the relatively casual, and occasionally argumentative, attitude my son and i take around the police is one facet of white privilege and tragically it is something they can’t rely on because even though they are half white they look african-american.

sometimes i fucking hate the society we have.

11 Likes

A-freaking-men.
``

11 Likes

He could have written any name on that paper.

It is more likely than not that the states attorney would have a confidential license plate.

I’ve never heard of a confidential plate, but assuming that’s a thing, I’m having trouble believing that every single cop ever wouldn’t have been told by superiors/fellow cops/the union/the FOP and be constantly be circulating the info that confidential plate=very powerful; leave them alone?

Day one: “OK junior, welcome to the force. We’re gonna run random plates today. You see someone black, latino, poor, tinted windows, or a loud stereo, run that plate. You ever get a blank, that’s a confidential plate. Don’t fuck with that guy. Pass me a kruller.”

3 Likes

Here’s hoping a lot of scrutiny gets applied to those officers.

1 Like

I agree with @Grey_Devil, but I applaud you for being the first devil’s advocate that is acting in good faith i.e. didn’t join just to post ITT.

1 Like

White Florida COPS?