White woman blocks black man from entering his own apartment building

See what you did there?

You gave her the benefit of the doubt, instead of him.

Funny, that. . .

32 Likes

What did I miss in that video? She was just keeping someone out who didn’t use their key to get in - which means they probably don’t have one. It’s generally accepted to be a good idea to not let other people who don’t have key fobs, into your building.

1 Like

So you ask them to use their fob, and close the door.

3 Likes

His ability to control his anger in that situation is nothing short of miraculous. I could not have done it.

6 Likes

Agreed. Not sure why she didn’t just do that.

Psssst!

29 Likes

Really…REALLY. FUCKING REALLY?!?

So you cannot think of any possible reason why a white woman would treat a black man in this way. In such a way that if their positions were reversed she’d have called the cops claiming she was afraid for her life and being threatened by this man.

COULD IT EVER SO POSSIBLY BE THAT SHE IS FUCKING RACIST?

19 Likes

What you missed was probably the part where he already buzzed himself in, and he was holding his keys in his hand. You can see the fob about -1:58.

18 Likes

I’m going to my first day of work after a year of unemployment. I can’t wish that on anyone, even her.

5 Likes

Or perhaps that person didn’t bother to watch to the very end of the video where the nosy woman in question follows the man to his door, which he then opens with his key.

19 Likes

Yes, this.

This is one of the reasons that I couldn’t stand living in the US. I knew people, liberal, educated people – people who I am sure had friends who were black and would never say anything overtly racist – who nevertheless made strange racist assumptions, seemingly without noticing it. It’s so pervasive and so rarely called out. I found it really wearing.

7 Likes

Sorta like Trump wanted the Braille signs removed from his elevators because one of them certainly wouldn’t be living there.

8 Likes

They were always there. What is different is this delicious accountability. Even knowing that 99% still barely get out of the situation with a slap in the wrist, the ones that don’t taste like yummy schadenfreude.

15 Likes

Where do you live now, IIMA?

I am aware. Sadly, even though now there’s more tangible hard evidence than ever, the accountability you speak of is still very difficult to attain.

8 Likes

This exact scenario played out in my building with a couple of our neighbors. My mother interceded and let the non-white neighbor in, in our case (she gets to bluster in and shove people around like that because she’s an old white lady). What my mom and I both found galling was that she sees the man the other neighbor was trying to keep out daily, and she felt certain the white neighbor saw him almost daily as well. His kids play around our building all the time, he’d have to have seen him.

The vibe we got was the white neighbor “didn’t recognize” him either because he never paid attention to the different non-white neighbors and visitors (ie that racist “can’t tell em’ apart” nonsense - and no, he didn’t fail to recognize my mother or any other white neighbors) or he DID know him and just decided that day to try and like, do a people’s eviction I guess? Or just wanted to make him feel small and like the racist was in control?

This wasn’t the only instance of racism manifesting as our white neighbors acting like our non-white neighbors don’t belong. I think this is a bona fide meme spreading through white people’s heads. It scares me, honestly.

13 Likes

Canada (where there is also racism, but not so much and more pervasively against First Nations people)

To be clear, I don’t know of a place that is free of racism of one kind or another. But US anti-black racism is pretty extreme not like the racism I’ve seen elsewhere. YMMV

9 Likes

It could be what we used to call Slashdotting rather than a true DDOS attack… I tried to hit the site out of curiosity - what do they do, do they have a statement about this up - that kind of thing. I’m sure I’m not alone. It’s hosed.

1 Like

Locks are to keep the honest people out. I bet you a nickel whoever rifled your car was someone legitimately allowed to be in that garage, who took advantage of the unsecured door to be the creep they are in their belly.

2 Likes

Presumably you’re not an insanely racist busybody. I have very little faith that she’s learned any kind of lesson from this. To hell with her.

1 Like