Black delivery driver in Oklahoma blocked by white man for being in a gated community

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/15/black-delivery-driver-blocked.html

7 Likes

[…] and a board member of the homeowners’ association […]
Well, here’s (one of) the problems…

35 Likes

Posted this in another thread but relevant to recent events:

The lawsuit states that Taylor and her boyfriend, Walker, were asleep in their bedroom when police in plainclothes and unmarked vehicles arrived at the house looking for a suspect who lived in a different part of the city and was already in police custody.

38 Likes

Miller said his customer defused the situation by telling the two men to move.

“He said he was sorry it happened,” Miller said. “He said those guys are overprotective of the neighborhood.”

It’s because they’re racist ass dirtbags with no self-awareness of their own bigotry. They’re not protecting shit. They’re harassing people.

75 Likes

President of the HOA of a gated community in Edmond, Oklahoma.

Pretty much white privilege, personified.

Compare that to the demographics of Oklahoma City, of which Edmond is an affluent and lily-white suburb.

17 Likes

I want a follow up where this HOA president has to deal with the rock he’s been hiding under having a spotlight shined under it.

24 Likes

Well that and the whole point of gated communities was go keep the ‘wrong’ people out cause god forbid whitey mchouse owner has to see a black person today.

37 Likes

Can we get that asshole’s Subaru ownership revoked??? How the hell did he get one in the first place?

14 Likes

I’m not familiar with laws, etc. Me am stupid.
But could this be considered kidnapping?

20 Likes

Unlawful detainment at the very least.

47 Likes

meanwhile a white trucker would have been waved through with a “how do?” by that dick… even if he had the valuables from every house on the cul-de-sac in his truck. and i defy that homeowners association guy to deny it.

28 Likes

In a perfect world, David Stewart would now have to go down to the gate to pick up any of his deliveries – if he could find anyone to deliver it that far.

14 Likes

In perfect world, David Stewart wouldn’t be a willfully ignorant moron griefing people going about their jobs.

24 Likes

I lived in Oklahoma for 2 years in the early teens.

Yep, sounds about right. I found Oklahoma racist AF while I was there.

Christ what assholes.

Where this man is going is none of this man’s fucking business, and you should not have to explain yourself in a car driving down a street in America simply because you are black.

And to make this perfectly clear I am a white guy and I am saying that is exactly what is happening here.

I am so fucking sick of this country

24 Likes

Exactly!
Before 2001 I didn’t know what a gate community was until I had to see one of my USA:n friends in New Jersey. He lived in a gated community at the time, and it struck me as awkward this was possible in the US but then after learning more about them I understood the underlying reasons for their existence. Homeowners associations are quickly becoming an economic parasite infection when coupled with this kind of pseudo-urban arrangement.

11 Likes

Are gated communities little duchies or feifdoms unto themselves, where regular law does not apply?

If so, maybe they should just secede fr . . .

Oh, right.

9 Likes

In a perfect world, Stewart and his accomplice would be behind bars for unlawful detainment.

17 Likes

In a perfect world, David Steward wouldn’t be.

15 Likes

“How did I make a wrong turn into a gated community?”

On the off chance I can ever meet this guy, I’m buying him beers. Multiples.

13 Likes

Also, not for nothing, but I watched the entire video. Can confirm that I’d have seriously lost my shit about 10 minutes in.

10 Likes