White woman pulls gun on black couple at campsite: "you don't belong here"

It’s a good one; thanks.

4 Likes

It’s common enough. Dad’s mom used to call my mom “the spawn of the devil” because of the Unitarian thing. The more religious families in the neighborhood got their kids to try and bully us. And this is in a fairly progressive town otherwise. Mostly the “Jesus was just some guy who said some good things” thing bugs people.

4 Likes

KC is home to Unity Village, which is some sort of little Unitarian enclave, but I don’t know what kind they are. I went there once for a job interview. Didn’t get it. Place seemed nice.

I assume it’s meant to be sung to the tune of

so, “if you’re a NAZI and you’re FIRED it’s your FAULT …” ?

5 Likes

Overthinking it, my friend.

True, the parody is meant to be sung with the emphasis about every third word or so; to the tune of If You’re Happy & You Know It.

However, that’s not why I chose to put the word ‘your’ in boldface in my comment, emphasizing the ownership of the negative outcome.

Ie;
Bigoted assholes have no one to blame but themselves when there are consequences & repercussions for their shitty behavior.

12 Likes

Indeed! But weirdly, it’s not!

killer-mike-amerikkka

10 Likes

i always thought the Unitarians very sweet. But no use whatsoever in a bar fight.

1 Like

Bigoted assholes gonna be bigots & assholes, gurl.

7 Likes

Ok, now I want to know - what is a dirk-knife and why does it need to be differentiated from a dirk or indeed a plain and simple knife?

2 Likes

I thought you were a lawyer and up on all the nuances of language :wink:

A dirk is a knife made for stabbing. So they tend to be sharp and pointy - also called a thrusting dagger. They maybe be sharp on the sides, but don’t have blades that one typically associates with cutting something. They usually have small or no hand hard guards.

Like a lot of things, there is no hard and fast specification - and so you can find things that one person might call a dirk, another a dagger, another a knife. When does the length go from dagger to knife? Can a long knife be a dagger, or does it need two sharp edges?

Fun with legal language:

I got a call from my young son‘s principal last week. She said there had been an incident in the playground where students were disrespecting a supervision aid. When my son came home, I mentioned that the principal had called. He said, “Can I just say that I wasn’t one of the kids glueing black felt to my forehead to make it look like Ms. V’s giant mono brow?“ “Okay,” I replied, “So what were you doing?” “I put some felt on my upper lip and was walking around pretending to be a French-Canadian Hitler.” To which I said, “A piece of advice … Any excuse which involves you pretending to be Hitler isn’t likely to be considered much of an excuse at all.“

9 Likes

Illiteracy was once considered endearing. The fad has mostly faded, but I’m sure some hipsters will revive it. When I hear the “Kars 4 Kids” jingle on the radio it makes me cringe, as they spell it out in the song.

3 Likes

I thought that was just an advert for WW2 Surplus German Rifles being marketed at the pre-teen market?

That was my point. I can see the AKTI takes the same view.

Thanks for the link:

A typical example is an 1837 legislative enactment in Tennessee which provided, “Any person who carries under his cloths, or concealed about his person, a Bowie Knife, Arkansas Toothpick, or other weapon of like form, shape, or size, is guilty of a misdemeanor. . .”. (Section 6630 of Shannon’s Code)

Now why did Bowie knife become a ubiquitous term but not Arkansas Toothpick?

What else is there:

Texas Steak-knife?

2 Likes

Guessing because in the US Bowie was more of a folk hero.

But hey, don’t throw stones in a glass house. Europes old weapons are even more grey area. What is a great sword? What is a long sword? What is a broad sword? What is a bastard sword?

What. Is. A. Halberd?

I’m not throwing stones… just tickled by the legislator’s need to define without any ability to do it.

The US is not alone…

The UK’s approach was this:

There are all sorts of other ‘knife’ offences.

This one neatly encapsulates the usual “broad definition” and “vague justification” points so that if you are a) the Laird of Dumfries wearing a kilt with full clobber; b) the Mayor of Slough wearing his customary ethno-religious kirpan or c) Gordon Ramsay on his way home from work; you’ll be ok but if you’re what the arresting officer considers a ‘ned’, you can be nicked.

Ooh, I know this one! A very big lame, presumably for industrial use.

1 Like

So I’d better carry around some fresh fruit instead of a pointed stick.

2 Likes

I do see this as subtextual. I’ve had some experiences where the little town has two bars, say, and inevitably it’s “Kountry Korner” (or whatever) that is the racist one. It’s so normalized that it might not be a reliable signal, but it’s definitely something real.

3 Likes

We are, but the campground people found the idea of Unitarianism threatening.

But some of us were very useful in bar fights.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.