White woman pulls gun on black couple at campsite: "you don't belong here"

Well, this thread turned depressingly predictably into a shit-show of Kampgroudns of America are the real victims here, where’s my white ally cookie, and off-topic derailment.

Le sigh…

10 Likes

Who said that? I don’t see anyone saying that…

You got me there.

5 Likes

Slightly hyperbolic take on @RandomDude’s second comment. I like RD, and liked his first comment because it’s one thing to point out that not all of the company are like this racist. But the second comment amounted to disappointment in Boing Boing for making a crack about the spelling used by the company.

Fair enough. I like and consider you a friend as well, but I did flag that digression as off-topic. FWIW, I get off-topic pretty easily too, and hope people flag me with the appropriate flag when I do. I’m going to flag this comment as off-topic myself, just to help it get eaten when the thread is cleaned up, but I wanted you to know I meant no ill-will.

4 Likes

But seriously, though… what more could I say that hasn’t already been said umpteen times before, every single time some shit like this happens?

How much more impotent fury can I express, which I have not already poured forth with righteous indignation?

How many ‘sorely vexed’ memes have I worn out in my palpable ire for this ceaseless fucking nonsense?

19 Likes

She’s a terrorist. This is a hate crime. Call the FBI, arrest her, indict her, and put her in front of a judge and jury. If convicted put her in the federal penitentiary. Convict her and people like her.

8 Likes

Pull a gun on someone without reason?
white folks: fired from job, mocked on internet
black folks: assault with a deadly weapon, prison sentence.

20 Likes

The yellow-breasted trumpsucker in the wild.

7 Likes

I wondered whether it was because they could prove she was waving a gun around but not prove that her motivation was racist, and perhaps they wanted to avoid any risk of a libel suit.

Don’t get me wrong: it’s obviously racist, but not absolutely, 100%, verifiable in a court of law.

Exactly.

1 Like

If the franchise owner is her husband then they should be relieved of the franchise. Also the KOA should be referring this matter to the police.

8 Likes

Not being American, I assumed that referring to this organization as “Kampgrounds” rather than “Campgrounds” was a pointed, satirical comment. Imagine my surprise and confusion to learn that is their actual name?! I guess that the “K” was for reasons of trade marking, but it does seen tone deaf (unless it was a dog whistle back then).

9 Likes

I am not a lawyer, still less an American lawyer, but my understanding of US law was that opinion based on disclosed facts cannot be defamatory (in the legal sense). So “I think this person is racist because they drew a gun on a black couple for not following the reservations process correctly” is not an actionable statement.

This is in stark contrast to how things work in the UK.

6 Likes

As you are, Moving Up on Second Base, With Nicholas Van what’s His Face, At six foot six, And 100 Tons, The undisputed King of the Slums, With more alias’ than Klaus Barbie, Master Butcher of Leigh on Sea, Just about to take the stage, The one and only - hold the front page, I guess you know a thing or two about the British legal system.

2 Likes

image|I'll sue in England!

4 Likes

I read a lot about her husband here; there is a german word for this;

sippenhaft

which translate barely as guilt by association. there are plenty of couples in this world, where one of them is a bigot and the other aint. or racist. or trumpist. I personaly know a couple like that; he is a progressive american, she a bigot german and most likely a racist, but he loves her (dont know why, but he does). or is this about corruption?

2 Likes

I doubt there’s any subtext. Mid-century American branding is riddled with intentional misspellings; Krispy Kreme, Froot Loops, Dunkin’ Donuts… and that’s just breakfast!

5 Likes

It’s the South. They have Stand-Your-Campground laws.

3 Likes

24 Likes

It is a poor choice. Given the terrain and lie, I’d go with a 21 degree loft hybrid. Maybe a 5 iron, but kids these days don’t appreciate the utility of the long irons.

8 Likes

Kamp Kommandant Kathy was taking her job very seriously.

1 Like

Brandishing is even illegal in Mississippi!
https://law.justia.com/codes/mississippi/2014/title-97/chapter-37/general-provisions/section-97-37-19

7 Likes