Who exactly is the audience for the Steve Jobs movie?

this just in: complicated person’s life hard to portray accurately.

4 Likes

I don’t hate nor praise the guy, but I’d get a kick out of seeing a portrait of both his famous triumphs and assholeness.

2 Likes

was that Oprah and the Glee cheerleaders?
?

Looks like Amber Riley (Mercedes) to me.

Sigh. If he was just a colossal jerk, how do you think he inspired so much love from his friends & family, and so much loyalty from his employees?

Jobs was complicated and contradictory, like all human beings. The sad thing is that neither the official biography nor this movie seem to be able to encompass both the hard-to-please taskmaster and the leader who people were happy and eager to work for.

1 Like

I don’t see much daylight between Jobs and this guy also on BoingBoing today. They both clearly have lots of followers and major flaws as human beings. They also love control, but still attract and apparently inspire people. It should also not be lost that many unsavory personalities manage to inspire people, and it fact may encourage cultish devotion from a subset of human personality types.

3 Likes

1 Like

Someday we will all look back and wonder: Why did we spend so much time debating this? The man didn’t give us a world changing invention, but an aesthetic variation; like a flickering light bulb, simultaneously evoking the nostalgia of a candle yet powered by electricity.
Whereupon the Cloud we face the immensity of the living Intermind, in myriad self tailored animasterfaces, the atavism of his preferred forms is unacceptable.

1 Like

Don’t worry, the next release will take care of this bug while introducing new features.

1 Like

Given that the article gets across “Written by Aaron Sorkin and Directed by Danny Boyle”, the answer to the headline is certainly going to include me.

2 Likes

My father-in-law worked for Pixar way back when and got completely screwed out of his position by Jobs (along with a lot of other folks). Would have been worth a reckless fortune, if he’d been able to keep it. I’m not a big fan.

5 Likes

Well I suppose if they manage to convince enough people of the notion that a human life has some kind of narrative structure or coherence they’ll make money out of it, and who knows, convince enough of the right people and they’ll get an oscar, which is nice.

1 Like

I’d watch a movie about a guy I hate, if it showed him to be the arse he was. Despite the fanboy author’s attempts to turn me off, I’m in.

1 Like

But if Carly Fiorina does it…she’s a heartless, evil capitalist, Sociopath.

Does what?

Champions a massive tech merger that costs 30,000 people their jobs?

Mismanages what’s left so badly that the board fires her?

6 Likes

Read it a third time, maybe? You certainly don’t embody reading comprehension, though your sarcasm at least makes it entertaining!

Ah, you are correct - yet I have a tinge of disappointment…

saw that, too.

bringing it full-circle back to BB, I found out about the Steves’ first product via Doctorow posting about the series finale of Wysywyg comics, which was how I found Piskor, too. this is the relevant comic:

[sorry for the different files but it seems @Ed_Piskor didn’t pay for the domain on wizzywigcomics.com and some japanese concern has taken it over?]

1 Like

Heh, touche! It IS poor reasoning.

I can think of another hateful person who had lots of devoted followers. I’d say whom I’m thinking of, but I’d hate to Godwin the thread, if it already hasn’t happened.

You didn’t read the article, did you.

1 Like