Who Time Magazine should award Person of the Year to

Bernie,
Still the most popular politician in the US. Too bad he will not run again.

4 Likes

Pence. Or Sessions. Just to further troll Trump.

1 Like

And it looks like there’s a freeping operation underway for some Saudi Princelet named bin of Salmon. Do you think he bought Russian votes or did he just whip his Palestinian slaves extra?

I’m on board with Kaepernick.

Yup. There are so many better choices among women than neoliberal Hillary Clinton.

8 Likes

Weirdly, when I look at it, the poll results shows everyone at 3-4%. I think it’s glitched for me.

1 Like

One or the other, but both is just overkill.

how about Bill Nye, or Neil DeGrasse-Tyson, or Mike Rowe

how about NOT a politico - but someone trying to actually change the world for the better?

i know - more crazy talk - i’ll go be quiet now

8 Likes

Yes, and 1966.

Strangely, in first place in the voting is “Americans, as opposed to Federal Bureaucrats” (by 15 million votes), but the wording on those votes seems a bit off somehow…

Second place is Ajit Pai…

Make it Obama. Even with a majority, the GOP still can’t put down the ACA.

2 Likes

The thing is, Frankfurt’s favourite might not even be in her post by the end of the year at this rate.

The thing is, the award has to go to the person who has had the most influence on the world this year. I’d say that it would be difficult to choose between Putin and Xi Jinping

Let’s look at the tally for both of them:

Putin-
Got his candidate in the white house
Redrew the balance of power in the Middle east, outmanoeuvring the west, the saudis and IS at the same time.
Destabilised governments across the world through hacking social media or the threat of hacking social media.
Almost completely flipping Turkey away from NATO.
Consolidated Russian control over Crimea and the Donbass

Xi Jinping
Consolidated his grip on the world’s most populous state, getting himself written into the Chinese state’s constitution.
Dispatched numerous heads of rival power blocs in China through well placed corruption enquiries
Built facts on the ground to lay claim to the nine-dash line
Expanded control and influence in Africa

Of course, neither is very nice, but neither was 2017, in case you didn’t notice.

6 Likes

That’s like awarding the Nobel Prize before the recipient’s study even gets published. I hope Mueller will prove worthy of the 2018 cover though.

5 Likes

Sure, Hillary Clinton, what a great idea. She should absolutely be Person of the Year in 2017, where her biggest and most notable achievement is writing a book where she whines about how other people are responsible for her losing an election that put Captain Fuckwit in charge. What an achievement, what personal relevance. That’s the exact kind of leadership we want to reward, unreflective bitter grumbling.

Kaep would be fine.

6 Likes

We tried that once, we got Trump anyway.

9 Likes

Even among Democratic politicians there are much better choices such as Elizabeth Warren or Gabby Giffords or Tammy Duckworth.

What I honestly don’t understand is that I know @beschizza isn’t a neolib or supporter of the broken Democratic status quo, and he knows there are better Dems who could revitalize the party, so I don’t understand why he’d nominate Clinton as for Time’s person of the year.

5 Likes

Better politicians perhaps, but hard to argue they were among the most influential people of the last year. What world-shifting events have they been responsible for since January 2017?

2 Likes

I’d agree with Kapernick any day.

Anybody but Hillary. Literally any one.

Remember that Time she attacked women that came out about Bill’s sexual assault…
I do.
Remember her saying the primaries we’re fair despite holding the DNC’s purse strings.
I do
Remember the" I need to have one position for the masses but a real position for the oligarchy"
Yep…I remember that too
I do think she could be shittiest neoliberal of the year …any year.

3 Likes

Just because the media chooses not to focus on them doesn’t mean they’re less relevant. What has Clinton done that’s so much more significant than active women politicians working to improve the country, the world and the Democratic party? Just because Clinton’s the foremost member of an established political dynasty doesn’t make her more significant than them.

And just to head off partisans who will accuse me of falling prey to anti-Clinton propaganda: I’m not some feeble-minded idiot who hates Clinton. In fact, I think she’s a perfectly decent human being. I strongly disagree with the majority of her neoliberal politics and believe it’s time for actual progressives (women and men) to be recognized as the heart and soul of the party for which those of us on the American left are stuck voting. I hope Clinton is sincere in her avowed decision not to run again, but too many in the Democratic establishment would hand the scepter right back to her if she reached for it, and that’s the banality that’s so stagnating to the the party.

Ordinarily I bite my tongue when it comes to Clinton because she is doing some important work now resisting Trumpism, but I’m not going to support her being proclaimed Time’s person of the year when there are so many better choices.

3 Likes

My question wasn’t rhetorical. If you’re making a case that Elizabeth Warren or Gabby Giffords or Tammy Duckworth are deserving of the “Person of the Year,” then what world-shifting events have they been responsible for since January 2017? I like all three but I can’t think of anything meriting that title.

2 Likes

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for which Warren continues to fight. A serious discussion of firearms for which Gabby Giffords continues to be a brave voice despite a literal assassination attempt by fanatics. Tammy Duckworth fighting against difficult odds in the Senate to resist the Trump, Pence, Ryan and the rest of those assholes from dismantling the government.

Just because they don’t make a lot of talk show appearances doesn’t mean they aren’t doing just as much or more than Clinton.

People not having a high profile isn’t the same thing as people not doing important work that effects the country and the world.

That said, I still think Kaepernick would be the ideal choice.

1 Like