Whole Foods CEO looking forward to being called "crazy John" after years of having right-wing opinions "muzzled"

Just Whole Paycheck here, no “foods.”

Same dif, though.

9 Likes

d7084812-acf9-40c1-b7be-c7e00d0dc4b3_text

Damn, i was looking forward to that Coke asparagus water!

8 Likes

I should have included the qualifier “also.”

Didn’t mean to he-peat ya; lawd knows there’s already enough of that around here as it is.

8 Likes

I know. No worries, my nose still has all its skin.

7 Likes

It’s not like he’s suddenly come out of the closet.

In July, 2015, Patrick Byrne, the founder of the online discount retailer Overstock, delivered a twenty-minute talk at FreedomFest, the annual libertarian conference in Las Vegas. Other speakers included the venture capitalist Peter Thiel; John Mackey, the chief executive officer of Whole Foods; and the Presidential candidate Donald J. Trump. Byrne’s talk, entitled “Turtles All the Way Down: How the Crypto-Revolution Solves Intractable Problems on Wall Street,” was a version of one he had given many times before.

9 Likes

Yah, it made the rounds a couple years back right after it came out. Turns out we are not as stupid as Whole Foods thinks we are and the internet tore them a new one over it. I think it disappeared shortly thereafter. People noted that one aisle over, actual asparagus was $2 a pound and you have water at home if you want.

10 Likes

I assumed ‘asparagus water’ was polite speak for urine.

TIL - it’s a thing.

‘Why?’ Remains unanswered.

6 Likes

I’d never heard of the guy until a few days ago when ZeroHedge posted about him.

2 Likes

Newsflash: The U.S. military has always been socialized.

If you want a private military you gotta go to the Pinkertons or whatever the hell Blackwater is calling themselves these days.

16 Likes

Good selection, prices that give rise to the notion that the enterprise is founded on principles of predatory capitalism.

2 Likes

Phrases like that are obviously pandering to the typical Whole Foods demographic

Maybe “Elon Lite” also needs a few more lessons about tweeting to your audience.

3 Likes

I wonder if the Secretary of State would know how to accept someone filing paperwork for their “Private Military Force”.

1 Like

Rich assholes are going away?

5 Likes

My dad is still angry they bought the Merchant of Vino in the Detroit area.

Sure, he’s been dead for almost twenty years at this point. I assure you he’s still angry about it.

We used to live almost in the parking lot of one around that time. I actually remember the place fondly; the deli was pretty good and reasonably priced, they had a decent selection of craft beer, the bakery section had a fruit tart I liked and if you watched what you were buying you could get out of there without spending too much.

But god help you if you didn’t watch the prices while they were scanning your items.

I haven’t been in there more than 2-3 times in the last 15 years, though. The one near me in Toronto is much more expensive and they don’t have my fruit tart.

3 Likes

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Merchant of Vino got Whole Paychecked!?! Oh, no!

5 Likes

Are we taking bets on how long it takes John to reveal that he believes his liberty relies on depriving other people of theirs?

12 Likes

Monied brunch progressive caucus has a pretty big Whole Foods hangup. This is pretty poor messaging:
1.) your Whole Foods folks are going to trend towards more progressive, 2.) they’re also the sort that can afford to shop at Whole Foods. There’s a whole brand experience that depends on feeling smugly self-satisfied at being healthier / more conscious with your consumption and this puts a real threat to some of the reasons why folks shop there; you’re popping their bubble.

3 Likes

Yeah, back in the late nineties.

I had to look up the name, but the original owner’s sons opened up Plum Market. They don’t have that many locations, though, and I haven’t been in one on one of the rare occasions I go back to the area.

3 Likes

Similar thing happened here in Portland. Two local guys opened up Natures Market, were bought out by WF, then opened New Seasons Market. New Seasons was also acquired later, but had a chance to establish more locations and the new owner is much, much better than Amazon/WF.

6 Likes

At lot of great points probably made better that I ever could but as a lawyer this stands out to me:

And I feel like, you know, with the way freedom of speech is today, the movement on gun control, a lot of the liberties that I’ve taken for granted most of my life, I think, are under threat.

Freedom of speech has the greatest legal protections right now in the USA that it has ever enjoyed anywhere in the world. And everyone now has a platform. What does not enjoy nearly as much protection as it has in the past is rich people having freedom from the consequences of their speech. That is I assume what he’s referring to. And now that he’s made himself a public asshole, I would guess a lot more people will stop inviting him into their living rooms both literal and metaphorical. Which will in his mind make him a victim, not a person that should just stop being a public asshole. Cf. Elon.

(edit for spelling)

7 Likes