Whole Foods CEO looking forward to being called "crazy John" after years of having right-wing opinions "muzzled"

I think he means that people younger than him are taking over the world. The way young people do, as they get older, and the old people retire.

I think this is known as the great replacement theory. /s

11 Likes

This motherfucker did to everyone’s local hippy grocery what Bezoars did to everyone’s local bookstore. Personal experience. Still angry.

8 Likes

Weirdly, independent bookstores did better against the national chain bookstores and then Amazon than independent ‘healthy food’ grocery stores did against Whole Foods. The margin is so tight in grocery stores that it was easier for the giant corporation to price them out of business (which Walmart did for a lot of local conventional grocery stores as well).

11 Likes

yeah. distributors price on volume so the bigger the store the better the price ( or profit ) depending. and walmart was all about big stores and vertical integration. it’s impossible to compete on price with that

most co-ops* are able to partner with small farmers or other local food makers so those prices tend to be cheaper. but the boxed stuff is amost always going to be cheaper at big (box) stores

there was a brief time there were regional organic brands but they all got bought up by the conglomerates. and software has made it easier for big stores to manage small local accounts - so there’s some pressure there too

( * co-ops also can hold their own a bit because there’s no wall street corporation to pay out. )

portland’s also got something like 3 (4?) independent food co-ops? and orgeon in general seems to be full of them. ( not to mention indy breweries )

maybe it’s something in the water?

3 Likes

The first Whole Paycheck location in Ann Arbor was the Merchant of Vino on Plymouth. I went in there once after the buyout, it sucked.

@anonotwit: I would like Plumb Market if not for the kind of monied, mannerless jackass that shops there. Village Market in Canton isn’t a whole lot farther for me and their clientele doesn’t suck nearly as much.

4 Likes

Yup, hit the nail on the head.

Also, anybody that considers capitalism one of their core values is automatically a trash person.

Capitalism is greedy and exploitative at its core.

7 Likes

Best picture of me ever.

True story.

6 Likes

Brilliant analysis, thank you!

Bit harsh, really. Misguided people are often just that, and not necessarily “trash” people.

8 Likes

I agree, it’s a harsh statement. I would not put him in the ‘misguided’ camp. He is a hardcore libertarian capitalist. I strongly disagree with libertarianism, but to say that capitalism is one of your values, while being fully aware of the damage that capitalism (in its current iteration in USA) generally does (specifically in areas of medicine, food etc NOT ‘trinkets’), makes one a candidate for being trash. Yes I am aware that calling someone trash sounds reactionary, dismissive, and internet-ty, but I stand by it in this case.

Some people don’t deserve the benefit of doubt imo. When someone shows you who they are, believe them and all that. :+1:t5:

3 Likes

Yep, certainly applies to him, if not just "anybody.’

5 Likes

Meh, it wasn’t that harsh a statement. But then, to me saying “capitalism” is one of your core values makes about as much sense as saying “wrench” is. Capitalism is one organisational system among many. It’s not a belief or ethical system, it’s something to be used where appropriate to achieve the goals or outcomes that we want, as defined by our values. It’s a tool, just like anyone who’d say capitalism is one of their core values.

1 Like

Unfortunately still lots of rich assholes, but anti LGBT, anti equal rights, anti abortion, anti gun regulation, anti environmental etc etc assholes like him are definitely on the way out. They are a shrinking minority, which is why they are lashing out so violently.

2 Likes

For me asparagus water is a byproduct of boiling asparagus, and in some recipes you keep it for further use, like if you are making rice with asparagus See video below.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.