Why does everyone hate U2?

Yeah there we go. You’re mirror neuron deficient tools. It didn’t bother me so it shouldn’t bother you. The very idea that other people might have opinions and feelings that aren’t yours is just a big ‘Wuhhhhhhh? Does not compute.’

As I admittted, I take my music very seriously, and you’ve got other triggers. And don’t give me that too much time on your hands shit when you’re here replying to me.

2 Likes

ever since October and War, i’ve loved them. like any long-running band, they have ups and downs, and not every album since achtung baby has resonated with me, but their social justice and political passions are admirable to me, even if i don’t agree all the time with their methods. and if you haven’t seen them live, it’s worth it. they are really fun.

1 Like

Nah, they made a new album available to you in the cloud. But as I say, if that’s your “trigger” – your line in the sand for where marketing shall not tread – I get it. Personally, I’d be fascinated to see what the public/geek reaction would’ve been if Google had done it first by sending, say, a Coldplay album to everyone using Google Play. Or if Apple had sent everyone a download link, instead. Or chosen a different band… was it the fact that it was U2 that really pushed people’s buttons too far?

And, for the record, you’re right, it’s a pretty mediocre album.

1 Like

Then it would be right and proper to burn their offices to the ground.
That is probably the most consistently bland and mediocre band I think I’ve ever heard.

7 Likes

Actually, that’s a good way to look at it - to me it’s like having to opt out of marketing spam instead of opt into it. I’d have no trouble with any of the opt in things you describe (want a free album?), and would be seriously annoyed at any of the opt out ones (here’s a free album - especially when they wouldn’t even let you opt out of it, like the U2 thing - originally you couldn’t even remove it from your library!).

Regardless of the band. But in this case it was U2, so that’s where the anger went.

4 Likes

I think the hate over the free album was to a large extent because it was U2.

I bet there would have been a lot less complaints (although there would still have been some) if it had been, I dunno, Taylor Swift, or Beyonce or someone else popular.

Naff idea + naff band = internet rage.

Well, not naff, but just bland and long in the tooth and decidely uncool.

Ugh. U2-lite. And Chris Martin is at least as obnoxious as Bono.

5 Likes

Which charity was U2 raising money for with that move, again?

1 Like

I think The Edge had a few houses to buy, and man, those fancy “e / i” shaped stages don’t build themselves, y’know.

I had an excellent U2 experience a couple years ago. They played some (probably sold-out) gig at the Rose Bowl, which is quite near my house, and also simulcast the show on the web. So I sat out on my front porch on a lovely warm evening with my laptop and watched the show online while I heard the echoes from the stadium about a mile away.

Cost me not a penny, and I didn’t have to deal with traffic and parking, either. Best U2 concert experience of my life.

7 Likes

Right, that’s exactly what I’m curious about. The idea wasn’t terrible (I guarantee Google was kicking themselves for not doing it first) but definitely verged on the uncool, depending on your tolerance for Apple and for marketing in general. And I know few people who consider U2 “cool” these days. I’d be fascinated to see how it would’ve gone with a new Beyonce or an exclusive Rhianna track or something.

And believe me, Coldplay would’ve been far worse, I agree.

Sad thing is, I’ve seen Coldplay live :smile: (but it was early on, before they got all commercial and stuff, honest, or I was drunk, or something)

And I’d probably go to see U2, at a proper venue, not an extortionately priced stadium gig.

So instead of you moving back to SD, the Chargers are going to move to you?

1 Like

I willingly and happily saw Dave Matthews Band MORE THAN ONCE early on, when they seemed unique and fresh and original, long before they became the bro-hippie band of choice. #TrueBandConfessions

And for what it’s worth, a few years ago, U2 did a secret show a block from me at a tiny concert venue. No fancy lighting, no “e” shaped stages, no 360 surround sound spider rigs. Just four guys rocking out. It was fanclub-only but the stage door was a nice preview.

1 Like

Is that the latest development? I’d heard various combinations of the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers might all come to L.A., and stink up the Rose Bowl while their new stadia are built.

I don’t care where they go, as long as the Chargers pay for it themselves.

2 Likes

Enough hate.

They had the gall to turn punk into a tribute to MLK.

In 1984.

Not many post-punk bands tried to raise consciousness on that level.

Still, they are Christian rock, so fling all the poo yea want.

1 Like

I get this, this make sense. I guess the key word here is reminder, if apple hadn’t pushed the U2 album you wouldn’t have been reminded of this? Or would you have believed they would never attempt to intrude on you while you play with their stuff?

I do think apple should have done the right thing and allowed people to opt in for a free album, but the fact that I never though they’d be above this sort of thing colors my perception of the event.

This.
Could apple have made this tax deductible? I don’t know how many apple music users there are that got this for free but its easily more than a million copies, that’s got to be like a bajillion dollars in marketing right there.

Its not bono so much for me but his sock puppet, the edge.

The edge sucked the life out of it might get loud and reduced what could have been a great ducumentary about jimmy page and jack white to a promo for guitar effects, proving that pop music is actually shit polished up to a shine.

What about joe walsh instead?

No, that’s a symptom. The actual reason people got mad is “I don’t want Apple, without any consent or notification, fucking with my privately owned device for their financial benefit.” This is about consent and ownership of our phones.

5 Likes

THIS!!!

1 Like

Better be careful; Beach copulator sentenced to 2.5 years – not sure what trail copulation will get ya.

7 Likes