Why does everyone hate U2?

Please! Take them!!!

It is only illegal if they catch you!

2 Likes

Hay, me too!!

Internet tangent: unexpectedly best concert I ever got in to for free but would pay to see again? John Fogerty. He is a hell of an entertainer (…theeere’s a bathroom, on the riiight…)

1 Like

“Beautiful Day” is my karaoke song and it may be the best pop song ever made (and I do mean ‘made’ as in 'concocted in a lab by scientists far away from any meaningless rockist bitching).

This said, the freebie ranks highest on the list of their worst work. Unlistenable and annoying as fuck popping up in shuffle.

With regard to the classist conversation shaping up here, one of the things I do in my job is supervise contractors who also happen to work on bono’s place in New York (a gift, I understand, from Steve jobs whose nonexistent charitable contributions to the world are never questioned). What I can say is that he pays those who work for him fairly and in a timely fashion, which is less than I can say for many and perhaps most in the world.

Rhetoric and ego aside, no-one on this board comes close to the monetary contribution to humanity the dude’s made. It’s a fair cop that the way he goes about it is condescending and egotistical, but his money is where his mouth is and money talks. Tax-wise he’s probably less cynical than quite a few libertarians I’ve met and they don’t do jack shit for anyone so…

3 Likes

Yep, no news there. NFL team wants a cash-strapped city to foot the bill. Fuck 'em. San Diego would be hugely better off without the Chargers, who have been squawking for a bigger stadium since the last stadium renovation 17 years ago.

2 Likes

He is indeed terrific live, which was a huge surprise for me. The man puts on a great show.

The best free unexpected show I ever saw was, of all things, Dread Zeppelin. They do reggae versions of Led Zeppelin songs, and their lead singer’s a 300 lb. Elvis impersonator. It sounds dreadful but these guys were total pros; their guitarist was pulling off Jimmy Page solos and riffs easily, and they’d switch from full-on ridiculous parody to note-for-note perfect recreations of Led Zep tunes.

I also remember the time that De La Soul played a free show at my college. They had this unknown band opening for them – The Roots. Nobody’d ever heard of them (this was 1994) but holy crap, they were just astounding. De La Soul came on afterwards and just sort of looked at the crowd and said “uh, fuck. They’re better than we are. We can’t really follow that.” So they brought them back out and did a show with them spontaneously.

8 Likes

What do nungesser’s posts have to do with gender?

1 Like

@nungesser’s gender has confused me for months. It’s the avatar, I presume.

2 Likes

My gender has confused me for years, not because I don’t know what it is, but because it is so weird looking.

7 Likes

I’m confused by gerunds, too.

Oh wait, gender! Sorry, bit of dyslexia there.

6 Likes

My take on it is that a great many Bono/Edge-haters are embarrassed by how thoroughly they were pwned by the global elite over the last 25 years. Bono is undeniably a part of that elite. However, instead of being the honestly repellent hedge fund predator that he ought to be, he keeps up the same starry-eyed “belief” talk that our angry ones also indulged in, c. 1990. When they were all equally young and promising. Except “they” can’t indulge in it anymore; they’ve taken real life on the chin too many times since then.

He still talks the 20-something Goodness talk because he has never been whipped. During the time frame in which “they” were each getting shafted out of tens of thousands in remuneration by their Silicon Valley employers, Bono was gifted a Central Park apartment by Jobs.

Think about it. Where is the worst “classism” in all this? IMO, the peevish complainers here don’t even make it into the “top ten”.

1 Like

This is hilarious. Folks who’ve opted into Apple’s ecosystem are suddenly surprised it’s a parasite/host relationship? LOL.

May iTunes be fucked with a brick.

4 Likes

Can’t say I hate U2. Bono could be less full of himself but I have not paid that much attention to him in aeons. I think they jumped the shark quite awhile ago.
As far as best live shows I have seen… Gonna be hard to beat getting bled on by Slymenstra Hymen at Mississippi Nights. But the Beastie Boys at Lollapalooza was pretty awesome.
Bands I have seen more than once and will happily go see again are Brave Combo, TMBG, Shonen Knife, The Red Elvises and The Violent Femmes.

1 Like

Dunno if I’d call that “punk”… But there’s also this, also not punk:

Songs about civil right leaders were kind of in at that time.

And what about Billy Bragg?

And of course, many punk bands had political songs, some about race:

Not that I dislike that song, it’s a great song. I just don’t think they were doing anything particularly novel at that time, actually. compared to some, they played it kind of safe. Now, if they had written a song about Malcolm X or Huey Newton… that would have been much more radical.

2 Likes

At the time it hit me with amusement, rather than anger. Apple showing how cool and current it was with this 1990’s band your dad liked.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Yes Bono and the band for that matter have the best concert promoter (madonna , lady gaga, ect.) in the world, yes the world. They all have made many changes how we percieve a rock show be it how extreme and fun those productions are. They have changed our ways of looking at what can become of a once heart felt dream to become great at one does. They were all once regular humans just like the rest of us. Having bringing us the joshua tree at the LA coliseum in the 80’s, To a crowd in Las Vega to tears after 911, they dream, just like us. Just the only difference they made a bizzilion dollars and every body around them also. We will all get older and some of us richer, some of us richer than anyone can comprehend Some of us rich with memories.Long live rock and roll.

Hey Bono, welcome to BB!

4 Likes

This has the gushing tones of second-rate rate ad copy.

2 Likes

Fuckin’ Bono and Apple, man. Jobs had such a hard-on for the guy. He’s literally the damn artist icon in iTunes.

That said, Joshua Tree was legitimately amazing, a classic album in every sense of the word. Their later 2001+ stuff such as Hello, Hello, vertigo etc, ehhh not so much.

3 Likes