Why don't ice cream sandwiches melt anymore? Because they're full of weird crap

Here in the US, “healthy” is pretty much anything that doesn’t kill you within 24 hours of ingesting it.

7 Likes

fist bump
I was thinking Inuit breast milk, myself.

2 Likes

I think that we used to have rules about that… This probably would have been called ice milk under the old rules.

The FDA still has the same rules. Ice milk is less than 10% milk fat. Ice cream uses both milk and cream, and can vary widely in fat content. The lower the fat, the higher the sugar or thickener content required to gain a freeze. So the cheapie ice cream in ice cream bars is probably only 10% with lots of sugar, while a premium ice cream might be 18% fat.

Gelato is basically a slow churned ice milk, so it has less air in it and is creamier than ice milk. If you’re looking for something low on the sugar/fat scale, but still creamy, it’s usually not a bad choice.

You really can’t complain if you’re shopping at Wal-Mart.

1 Like

They do however make excellent paperweights and pretty much taste like one.

I was wondering about this. I got a box of ice cream sandwiches last week and then got stuck in traffic on the way home. I was all worried they’d be melted but they’re fine and completely rectangular. I love the “bread” on ice cream sandwiches.

Guar Gum…

WORST COVER BAND EVER.

7 Likes

Bloody bubble gum pop?

Let me get this straight. There was “junk” in the junk food. And this is somehow surprising. Am I missing something here, because the only possible explanation for that is the baffling ignorance of the American consumer, but it’s the ice cream that’s being criticized.

1 Like

I prefer “If it’s possible, then it’s natural” from the otherwise horrible exploitation movie Savage Sisters.

1 Like

WTF? Do all you folks live in the arctic? I love me some cheap ice cream sandwiches, and have never run into a brand that wouldn’t start melting if I didn’t eat it fast enough.

If anyone can provide a brand name that I can find on the West Coast, I think there’s some interesting experimenting to be done as it’s supposed to get into the 100’s this weekend!

So. That’s it for the red pill then.

… and toothpaste. Which is edible. This thing is half toothpaste, no wonder it won’t melt.

I noticed this recently with the infamous British ‘99 Flake’:

They don’t melt anymore, even when they’re chucked in the sink to melt.

I grew up on … Mr Goodbar? … in the USA. I’ve never adjusted to 99 Flakes. And now I fear them.

Goes to show how far the average American is removed from reality. NOTHING UNHEALTHY??? What about an overdose of empty calories and tooth decaying sugar?

The Frosties at Wendy’s exhibit the same lack of melting behavior. Scary…

That reporter was going out of his way to avoid being sued by Wal-Mart. He practically said “yes, this ice-cream sandwich looks strange and it doesn’t have any cream in it, but you can eat this instead of kale.”

2 Likes

My parents visited in their RV once and had some kind of low-carb ice cream. I dropped some on the ground. Not wanting it to just sit there and attract bugs, I threw it into the campfire. It took quite a while before it lost its shape.

1 Like

As much as I despise W*-Mart and their policies, they remain the only affordable or local option for a wide swath of Americans. Everyone deserves real food at affordable prices, not chemicals and artificial junk.

1 Like