Why everyone is talking about Childish Gambino's "This Is America"

Here’s a bunch of good write-ups, links pinched from a NYT article.

7 Likes

I’ve been rewatching Community lately and I’m always amazed at contrasting his hilarious performance as a vapid jock on that show with his current work as an artist. He’s a really talented motherfucker.

2 Likes

It was definitely just SNL writing. Not only has Donald Glover been doing stand-up for years, but he was also one of the best characters on Community, a particular gem of a show.

8 Likes

yes, definitely, and that’s ok – but major works also usually have an artist’s statement that lay out intent and describe the piece. i’m sure he’s thrilled it’s finding resonance perhaps beyond things he wanted to say, but i’m curious to hear his own thoughts on it all from the inside.

1 Like

Great song, great video.

1 Like

Review: While the musical performances and choreography were adequate, the video still failed to solve generations of institutional racism. 2/5 stars.

28 Likes

*snickerz

As someone who actively and consciously lives in the “America” Glover was talking about, reading some of the negative opinions of people of privilege is somewhat entertaining.

19 Likes

I’m sure this has been addressed at length in the many great write-ups but I didn’t get the impression it was supposed to just be about anger. The black experience in America includes anger and violence and racism but it also includes love and joy and art and music (which is all too often interrupted by the anger and violence and racism).

16 Likes

As a white person of privilege I can only respond that it is our duty to tell you when you’re being too angry or not angry enough or perhaps both at the same time!

This is one of the reasons I think the video contains terms and images so fraught with double meanings. Glover is one impressive guy.

8 Likes

I looked up the lyrics. It says “hunnid bands hunnid bands hunnid bands.” I still insist he’s saying “underpants underpants underpants.”

3 Likes

Nor did I.

There’s a reason aside from mere distraction that Glover and his backup are dancing joyously almost the whole time; it’s about embracing whatever positives you can, as a means of surviving.

The Black experience in America is more than just our oppression, our rage, and our suffering; its also our will to carry on even in the face of horrendous circumstances, to create works that uplift our spirits, and to keep striving for a better day.

19 Likes

You should, I get the feeling this was not made for them.

That’s fair though I think it’s informative that he’s using this style precisely because it’s popular, he’s not using all new dance moves he’s doing the opposite of what these videos try to do, impose new trends, he’s using the idiom of hip hop memetically so for those of us who are not steeped in the culture it might seem impenetrable at first.
I would suggest to approach this as people might have approached Picasso’s “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon” for the first time. Sure it’s strange, but there’s method to the madness.

You know, I don’t disagree with that reading, certainly people are taking that away from the video, but if this video/song is truly subversive then there needs to be something else, and I believe that it is in who this is for.

You’re right, this wasn’t angry, yet the joy was always undercut with violence. It’s hard to tell if he’s dancing to distract us or himself.

4 Likes

Yyyyyyyyyyeah.

Hoo boy.

I guess no one can deny that there is a certain sense in which this is true.

Just out of curiosity, since art has (in that sense) failed to solve racism or any other problem, what should Glover be doing with his time that WILL accomplish these ends?

12 Likes

you know, you really ought to smile more.

4 Likes

18 Likes

I have a reaction/comment to this, but I will keep it pleasantly within my own head and smile wryly while people wonder wtf I am thinking about.

3 Likes

Provocative imagery is meant to provoke.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

[insert ‘why not both’ gif here]

2 Likes

1 Like

You are looking for “Black Hoodie” by Body Count I think

4 Likes