Why everyone is talking about Childish Gambino's "This Is America"

Nah, I mean this video is fine and catchy but the idea of it being thought provoking or quote unquote “deep” just makes me roll my eyes. It’s like Lost Season 4 when you realize there will only be more questions and no answers.

Maybe to give it credit it is an inkblot for the collective endless American therapy session.

And to what Glover could be doing: that’s his business. I just don’t assign a lot of weight to art.

It’s predictable. For them, art is only supposed to show events which are laudatory or worthy of imitation (or represent some fantasy). There’s is a stunted, childish notion of what art is/should be. (So I’m seeing a lot of “it’s evil!” responses.)

It’s a lot more than that, though.

“You’re not angry enough… No, not like that. How am I supposed to take you seriously when you’re so angry?” - America

That dancing has some pretty overt references to minstrelsy in there, too. Because even dancing gets to be complicated and contaminated…

Not going to solve institutional and cultural racism without popular art, either.

13 Likes

Um… bad news: you know the artist died, right?

1 Like

4 Likes

Noooo, not this again!
:wink:

This is the saddest thing I’ve ready all day.

12 Likes

Poor choice of words.

Oh! You’re ignorant! I understand now. You should have just said that at the beginning and saved everyone a lot of trouble.

12 Likes

au contraire, he’s very much alive.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, why not? Isn’t art one of the things that makes us sort of unique on planet earth, the ability to abstract out our subjective experiences into forms that others can identify with?

11 Likes

That and it has been used as part of every political and social movement in modern history.

4 Likes

Indeed, especially since the 60s.

4 Likes

That whoooshing sound is the point zipping high overhead.

whatever. i can’t be up on every joke on the internet. carry on.

2 Likes

Well, I DO like some very abstract hip hop-- NMS, K-the-I, Death Grips-- and as much as I like Picasso, not every piece he made is a masterpiece, so I don’t expect repeated listenings are going to make much difference for me here.

It is astonishing and makes me feel uncomfortable but it should and i’ll watch it again.

ETA: Oh, there was a black mirror comparison i read somewhere and that’s apt, this feels like the inevitable ‘black mirror does a musical’ episode.

1 Like

The people who need to understand the message behind the video will never, ever get it.

Mitch McConnell or Paul Ryan, for example. Or even Nancy Pelosi. It’s totally lost on people like them.

I want that.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So now I’m watching Atlanta…

It’s excellent.

4 Likes

8 Likes