Why is the Obama hate so... weird?

10 Likes

This picture of GWB with his dog painting. Do you think he was maneuvered by villains his entire life, and now that heā€™s all used up, theyā€™ve finally left him alone?

It just seems odd that he stays away from the lecture circuit. When is the last time a former US president did that? When have you seen Bush on Sunday Morning TV promoting the Republican agenda? When do you think is the last time he spoke with Dick Cheney or Karl Rove? They still live and breath venomous back room politics every day, while their former bossā€¦paints dogs?

5 Likes

I think he realized it was time to call it a day. Iā€™m hoping in time he can find some cause to get behind, like education in africa, or champeoning the space program, or a free internet or something. However i think the whole afganistan/iraq/9 11 thing just drained the man.

I feel had 9-11 not happened he wouldnā€™t have been a bad president, just a mediocre one. He did seem genuine about his non-war related stuff like aid in africa and the whole constellation program for nasa.

1 Like

Honestly, it really boils down to because heā€™s black, but people donā€™t want to admit that, because ā€œtheyā€™re not racist, Iā€™m not in the KKK, so Iā€™m not racistā€¦ā€ Itā€™s about whose an american and who isnā€™t, and historically, black Americans are not Americans.

When people talk about racism, it really isnā€™t something thatā€™s just active racists, I hate any non-white typesā€¦ itā€™s people who buy into the notion of whiteness and what that means, and that includes thinking that black people are somehow different. Thatā€™s turned into them getting an unfair advantage because of their color. They make the cultural argument - someone made it to me today about Native Americans, and sheā€™s someone who is into NA history and doesnā€™t hate Native Americans, but just thinks that their ā€œcultureā€ is somehow defective in a way that is not connected to the workings of white supremacy and how it works in insidious ways that we donā€™t really see on the surface.

it doesnā€™t help that heā€™s a democrat and is seen as being very lefists, although he clearly isnā€™t in any coherent way.

So, thatā€™s itā€¦ I think it really does come down to race, but people donā€™t want to admit it. Maybe they donā€™t even realize it themselves, but itā€™s almost kneejerk. Racism isnā€™t confined to rednecks and idiots. There are lots of smart people who have racists beliefs, even if they donā€™t think they are. as long as we think itā€™s just confined to some backwoods people in the south, weā€™ll never fix the problems associated with structural racism.

15 Likes

If my relatives on my dads side of the family had to tell the deep down truth yeah that would be it. Happily not all of them have gone to drinking the tea party kool aid, but yeah after about 16 or so I didnā€™t care that much for the family reunions.

3 Likes

A native account of the history - from How to be a Liberal in Lower Alabama:

"ā€¦After Alabama supported John F. Kennedy for president in 1960, the first election I remember as a child, I watched as my stateā€™s majority, mostly white, shifted rightward in the aftermath of the civil rights ā€™60s ā€” on through the Reagan ā€™80s, the Christian right ā€™90s and the Tea Party ā€™00s. Blue Dog Democrats, conservatives who provided a bridge to the right, largely disappeared, and Republican moderates became an endangered species. As an old lion of the local G.O.P. establishment confided to me at a holiday party: ā€œIf Trump or Cruz gets the nomination, you might find me in Hillaryā€™s camp. ā€¦ā€

[READ MORE] (Opinion | How to Be Liberal in Lower Alabama - The New York Times)

(And in Robert Caroā€™s, Master of the Senate, thereā€™s a thorough account of how southern democrats reacted to the prospect of stronger civil rights legislation in the late 60s, partly by starting to vote GOP.)

And on the topic of why so irrational, Paul Krugman reviews the persistent lapses of Reagan era (Coolidge?) orthodoxies observed by economists and policymakers:

ā€œā€¦Yet none of the dire predicted consequences of these [Obama administration] policies have materialized. ā€¦ the conservative economic orthodoxy dominating the Republican Party is very, very wrong. ā€¦ After all, America achieved rapid, indeed unprecedented, income growth in the 1950s and 1960s, despite top tax rates beyond the wildest dreams of modern progressives. For that matter, there are countries like Denmark that combine high taxes and generous social programs with very good employment performance. ā€¦ā€

READ MORE

6 Likes

After the nearly-universally-loathed GWB left office, Obama spoke a lot about how he wanted to ā€˜heal the divideā€™, ā€˜reach across the aisleā€™ and ā€˜get things done togetherā€™, which is inspiring.

The GOP responded by publicly declaring that their Congressional policy for the rest of his presidency would be to say no to absolutely everything he requested, no matter what ā€“ a threat they have followed through with very directly. The result has been the worst partisan politics Iā€™ve ever seen, and itā€™s pushed the right-wing to its extreme.

I once heard an interesting comment about the Obama-hate: when he rose to prominence, the GOP dug through his background, looking for anything to hang him with. The worst they could find? Well, he used to smoke pot in college, and the former pastor at his former church once said some stuff that sounded kinda racist when taken out of context. So with nothing real to go on, they proceeded to make crazy shit up, and a lot of folks bought it. Thatā€™s kind of been their game plan ever since.

11 Likes

Your point stands, but I can remember ā€œIā€™m Mad Too, Eddie!ā€ bumper stickers from around that time. (I was 9 years old and had no idea what they were about, then.)

Rush Limbaugh really peaked just after Clinton into office. Were his numbers ever the same afterward? Seems to me that Rush owed everything to the Clintons.

This is usually met with ā€œwhat, Iā€™m not allowed to criticize the President because heā€™s black?ā€

I think part of this is that the growth of Facebook coincided with the Obama Presidency, and we began hearing this sort of stuff from distant relatives ā€“ before then, maybe we rarely heard from them at all, because we only encountered them at weddings or funerals. (I know FB precedes Obama, but I for one wasnā€™t on there until late 2008, and I didnā€™t think it really took off while GWB was in office. The question, then, is whether GWB would have suffered the same verbal abuse. Certainly not about his birth certificate. In my email circles, I saw plenty of scorn for GWB, but based on politics, and rarely because his dogs were Scotties.)

Iā€™d also point to when the GOP took over Congress in the 1994 elections. My recollection is that Ralph Reed et al were at the peak of their powers. I remember bumper stickers at the time, along the lines of ā€œI donā€™t like the Presidentā€¦ or her husband.ā€ I was in Austin at the time, a liberal outlier compared to much of Texas, but adjoining it to the north is Williamson County.

November 9, 2015 (go to 39:00).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 404 days. New replies are no longer allowed.