Why Jack hasn't banned Nazis on Twitter

Making not using twitter the only moral choice.

3 Likes

But they say that they’re not Nazis…

5 Likes

Well, I’d argue that there are no good Nazis, so I certainly don’t consider myself a good Nazi parodist.

My knowledge of the German language is pretty narrow, limited mostly to random words like Backpfeifengesicht. However, my use of the umlaut is not meant as a proper Germanic diacritic in this instance. Rather, it’s the sort of “metal umlaut” used purely for affect by bands like Queensrÿche or Mötley Crüe. This deliberate misuse of an umlaut is a reference the typical alt-right edgelord’s reliance on floating signifiers. As a critique of twitter, it points to their seeming inability to tell the difference between relatively harmless online shitposting and the genuine threat of a growing white supremacist, fascist movement in this country.

In any case, my apologies to the Turks.

6 Likes

Stand with Nazis, become a Nazis. And let’s just say that the only “good Nazis” are not metabolically active.

3 Likes

You got me there. But I certainly meant a “good (Nazi parodist)” not a “(good Nazi) parodist” :stuck_out_tongue:

I understand your umlaut usage now, and appreciate the parody even more :grinning:

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I fear, I have spent too much time thinking about this, but the joke would actually work perfectly with an “ä” …

In “Twittär” the A-umlaut would be an “a” like in car for English speakers and an “a” like in bad for people that know how to pronounce umlauts :slight_smile: The metal umlaut idea would work just the same.

Also, overanalysing fine jokes to infinity is obviously a great way to spend my time :wink:

3 Likes

Nope. I gave them the bird (back) in 2014. Never looked back.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Your suggestions are much appreciated. And any time spent thinking of how to ridicule nazis is time well spent!

2 Likes

Before bailing on the platform; they don’t turn up in my timeline, but they frequently turned up in the replies to tweets in my timeline.

The issue that led me to quit Twitter was that I managed to follow a bunch of people who shared my views and it was a giant echo chamber; but whenever I dug around to challenge my views I generally found myself suddenly at the exact other end of the spectrum with right-wing crazies crawling out of the woodwork. The middle ground simply didn’t seem to exist (or at least wasn’t polarizing enough for algorithms to bring anywhere the top of any searches).

2 Likes

Yep. All, the bullshit about “automating it would ban lots of Republican Politician’s tweets” is one thing - but the fundamental issue is that even prominent, repeatedly reported, obviously racist, white nationalist, hate speech accounts somehow get a free pass despite the algorithm+human intervention combo.

4 Likes

I’ve got a Facebook account I use, but I’ve never been on Twitter and don’t want to be.

2 Likes

I ditched Facebook when Trump got elected. Part of me thought that it was too good a source of personal information for a fascist regime to take advantage of, and part of me just couldn’t take the gloating posts that popped up on my feed made by friends of friends. I ended up losing contact with 99% of the people that I used to know. I miss interacting with them.

Now I have all of you instead.

I do have a Twitter account, but I rarely tweet for personal reasons, mostly complaints about products or services that suck. I have about 8 followers, and all of them are bots. I tweet stuff out for clients using their accounts.

I have flagged Trump’s tweets countless times as hateful, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

4 Likes

Don’t forget Spın̈al Tap

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s either a cesspool or an echo chamber if you’re looking for exchange of viewpoints. I use it to follow scientists in particular fields outside of my profession and there’s no better alternative that I’m aware of.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.