Why Lindy West quit Twitter

And here we are in society, worldwide.

2 Likes

welcome to the lived experience of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of women online.

unfortunately the stupidity of a thing has rarely kept stupid things from existing.

13 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t use Twitter… doesn’t that exist? No mass-mute? No whitelist/blacklist stuff?

Seriously?

I take it all back, the management of Twitter is composed of imbeciles.

3 Likes

You can block individual accounts, one by one.

5 Likes

Yeah, some people have made blacklists and scripts that run over the blacklist files and add the names on the list to your twitter filters. It’s pretty olden days out there in twitter land.

4 Likes

I believe you and @cheem.

Jesus. Twitter’s in, like, the 12th century. I heard about blacklists in Twitter-land and assumed this was a feature of the site. It never occurred to me that this had to be grafted onto the app.

That said, even quite good blocking tools won’t fix the issue. Sufficient effort cat overcome anything short of whitelisting which, of course, will seal you into a very tiny bubble.

Though being able to ban-by-keyword would be useful. I could do without seeing the word ‘cuck’ ever again for as long as I live, for instance. Though, amusingly my own post would be censored if what it suggested was applied. Those Type I errors again, I guess. And some pimply sturmführer would just spell it c uck or something and we are back to square one.

3 Likes

I only twitter through a client and I do one click troll blocking there but then I’m a white, middle aged tech worker so I don’t get overwhelmingly targeted.

4 Likes

You can do this now. e.g.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s the point she’s making.

3 Likes

I didn’t ask you to. This isn’t about me. It’s about you caring enough to educate yourself on what others have experienced. It’s entirely up to you if you do that or not. But you could also maybe take Lindy West and hey, maybe even me and other women here, at our word when we say that we’ve experienced something similar to this.

That’s the problem with reddit, that it’s large enough and diffuse enough that some of the real nastiness can be buffered from some users. From what I understand, if you stay in particular sub-reddits, you avoid worst stuff, but apparently, much of the nasty stuff has infected some sub-reddits and the top pages. I try not to blame the whole site for the activities of some of the users. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a problem, of course, just that not everyone there is to blame. I’d say the same about twitter, etc.

Many things in this world is stupid and they still exist. It’s often a stupid, stupid world.

14 Likes

I think the term “social media” should be replaced with “boastful media”.

3 Likes

So, somewhat relatedly, since there have been people doubting whether or not West or others could possibly be telling the truth about harassments by nazis on Twitter… John Carpenter is getting grief about his classic film They Live on the twitters, from neo-nazis coming from a reddit (and storm front, too):

15 Likes

It’s interesting that still for the most part the people on twitter were here pre-twitter. I wonder what will happen to it when there are no more pre-twitter people left. And where does the desire for trolling come from?

I’m just happy he’s still making music.

3 Likes

12 Likes

I wish that I had that too, and I am exactly that thing described.

2 Likes

As am I.

1 Like

Once again I am drawn to the words of Jello Biafra, “Nazi Punks, Fuck Off.”

14 Likes

From the article:

“But I’m leaving anyway, for a while.”

That “for a while” makes me sad - the acknowledgement that it may be simply impossible to stay away. That kind of power, that pull, even after all she’s been through, it’s depressing. :frowning:

6 Likes

Oh Reddit, you technically know it is true!

(Unless you are looking at the Hitlers)

(And, lest I offend any redditors, I am making a joke about the perception of reddit, I visit several subreddits regularly and don’t see any Hitlers)

1 Like